Chevy Nova Forum banner
521 - 540 of 582 Posts

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #521 ·
H8FUL plates came in without incident quite some time back...think I posted about it but I don't remember. Whether it was needed or not, I definitely bought some of those funny headed screws and caps to cause anyone hoping to steal the plate to have a tougher time doing so.
Yeah, totally! I don't recall the post but I don't recall dinner last night so... huh?!?

I'll be building my own license plate enclosures that will take quite a bit of doing to steal the plates from, if at all... Gotta make 'em work for it! :p

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #524 ·
UPDATE 1-8-2023: So I got happy with the cutoff wheel... Decided to cut some bad metal out and begin the process...
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Test fit for new quarter:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Test fit for new outer wheelhouse before widening it:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

The cuts, not a mini-tub but vertical wheelhouse for tire clearance for 295s:
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Light Automotive design

Fit up of a 1" strip for widening it out:
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Tire Automotive tire Hood Wheel Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Hood Wheel Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tire

After grinding a bit on the inside:
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Tread

And more grinding and contour, almost done!:
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle tire

This should be about it on the passenger side... for now...

· Registered
82 Posts
In case anyone forgot what a meth... er, mess this side was before:
View attachment 450666

About messed up!!
View attachment 450667

BONDO CITY!!!
View attachment 450668
I had to look a this a second or two, then it finally dawned on me that this was BONDO that you started to get artistic with. LOL .... . . . .
Now that is a sh!t ton of Bondo !!! Even in my day I might have ventured down that dirty path, but I would have to lock myself up and throw away the key if I ever thought of doing this now days...
I've got a Question for you ?? Where is this massive amount of Bondo, the picture reference doesn't allow me much to my imagination?? I'm thinking this is behind the driver side door, as to which, if it is... Where is your rocker panel??
W O W that's a lot of BONDO!!!

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #527 · (Edited)
I had to look a this a second or two, then it finally dawned on me that this was BONDO that you started to get artistic with. LOL .... . . . .
Now that is a sh!t ton of Bondo !!! Even in my day I might have ventured down that dirty path, but I would have to lock myself up and throw away the key if I ever thought of doing this now days...
I've got a Question for you ?? Where is this massive amount of Bondo, the picture reference doesn't allow me much to my imagination?? I'm thinking this is behind the driver side door, as to which, if it is... Where is your rocker panel??
W O W that's a lot of BONDO!!!
Hahaha, yep. Too much for a whole car but this was just down in the lower rear passenger quarter outside the trunk drop (behind the rear wheel). My son removed it last year to reveal some pretty jacked up steel behind the bondo so... It sat a year until I could get my car into my new garage. Now the real work begins!!

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #529 ·
When we start on a restoration or update we have what we want to accomplish in our mind. Looking forward to seeing yours become a reality.
Thanks! Finally have a place I won't have to move from again so the car can get cut up for a while while I work my magic.. lol.. Abracadabara! :p

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #531 ·
Be careful when you're cutting metal with sparks flying everywhere don't want to catch anything on fire in the garage!
Thanks for the reminder @lwlevens , us fire folks seem to forget we're susceptible to fire just like everyone else... I'm a fire marshal, actually.. I do know (should know) better... but at times disregard safety protocols... For reals though:p I typically do my grinding outside and use the welding/grinding blanket when doing any cutting inside so I only catch my clothes and gloves on fire :cool: because it's cold here in California hahahaha:ROFLMAO::coffee:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #533 ·
COLD in Cali try being here in the north east 🥶 Good luck brother!!
Yeah, that's why my family moved from Chicago.. NOOOOOO THANKS :p My oldest son's in New York... I'm sure he's freezing too! I never whine about cold here. It's balmy compared to what you experience :cool:

· Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,434 Posts
Be careful when you're cutting metal with sparks flying everywhere don't want to catch anything on fire in the garage!
Don't forget your eye protection either. A longtime hot rod buddy of mine lost his eye when he caught a piece of metal in it. He no longer restores cars. He said he only has one eye left and can't take the chance of losing it.

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #535 ·
Don't forget your eye protection either. A longtime hot rod buddy of mine lost his eye when he caught a piece of metal in it. He no longer restores cars. He said he only has one eye left and can't take the chance of losing it.
I use goggles and/or a face shield and sometimes, depending on how much grinding, my welding hood with the grind mode. I love my eyes!! I take good care of them for sure! Thanks for the reminder though, our safety-squints don't protect from anything...:cool:(y)

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #536 ·
If you read back in this particular build thread, my youngest son got a piece of bondo (imagine that) in his eye while we were tearing the passenger rear quarter apart. He was wearing a full face shield but it flew up and with perfect timing, landed in his eye directly sending us to the Dr. Now we wear goggles with a full surround gasket (ANSI fire goggles) so nothing gets through and a shield too when the S is flying around like using a cutoff wheel that could explode and tear us up.

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #538 ·
Funny use said that about using a cutoff wheel had one blow apart on me last summer put a gouge on my inner thigh, a little more over I would've been in a lot more pain.😱😳.
Yeah, my youngest calls them "wheels of death" for good reason.

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #540 ·
Yep, never had that happen before.
Yeah, I've had them blow apart on my air cutoff tool... I think I may have exceeded the max RPM on the wheel too.. Kinda...

521 - 540 of 582 Posts