Chevy Nova Forum banner
441 - 460 of 498 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #441 ·
Update 2-18-2022: Dug out a good clean Holley Performance 4150 and finally slapped it on the METHTRAPNOVA!! I FORGOT HOW MUCH I LOVE HOLLEY CARBS!!! Oh my fing holycrap!!! What a massive difference real mech secondaries make on a manual trans car. The Edelbrock just couldn't manage. The car has a completely different mannerism driving now and jets are about perfect. Might go down one or two in front as they seem like it's running a bit rich off the idle circuit but... Gonna make sure the power valve is set 6.5 and not something else before I go messing with the jetting. No loading up, no bog, no hesitation, no issues at all and smooth as silk transition from primary to secondary. None of that spring / rod crap to deal with. Yay me!! Happy now!!!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #443 ·
Gotta love throttle blades connected to your right foot.
No doubt! The ede was just not what I call a carburetor!! I have never had anything but a 4150 on any manual trans Chevy I've owned and it was not a good experience at all trying to get any smooth performance out of that thing. I don't want to spend hours changing metering rods and springs to get the transition from primaries to secondaries based on a vacuum signal. No thanks!! Nothing like the mechanical connection from foot to fun!! (Left AND right foot!!)

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #445 ·
Yep Holley carbs I think are very easy to work on. That's all I ever owned.
Yep, same until METHTRAP. It came with an ede 1406 that had issues to begin with, I rebuilt it, ran okay, but nothing like a Holley. Not sure I could/would ever advise anyone to ever run an ede.

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #447 ·
So easy to rebuild, and yet I have an off idle stumble that I can't get rid of.🙄
Got your idle air dialed? Check your power valve? Been my experience big cams cause power valve issues and transition hiccups... Lots of things to check but as you said, easy to work on

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
2,429 Posts
So easy to rebuild, and yet I have an off idle stumble that I can't get rid of.🙄
First... make sure your initial timing and timing curve is correct for your engine set-up. VA connected to a "Full Time" vacuum source (with advance limiter set to about 10°- 12°) also helps with off idle stumble.
Next... see the link below.

Ace.... hope you don't mind.

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #449 ·
First... make sure your initial timing and timing curve is correct for your engine set-up. VA connected to a "Full Time" vacuum source (with advance limiter set to about 10°- 12°) also helps with off idle stumble.
Next... see the link below.

Ace.... hope you don't mind.
Mike, not at all :) wherever we can help, that's what and where we gotta go. We're all in this together!!

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #451 ·
Update 3-5-2022: Found a good candidate for my new shifter for the M22 and promptly purchased it off eBay for $360. Comes with all rods and plates, looks to be in really good working order, probably needs a rebuild but it's just what I wanted so... Headed my way via UPS as we speak!

Tool Handle Wood Gas Household hardware

Even comes with this Kick-A$$ **** knob!!
Dishware Badge Motor vehicle Serveware Emblem

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #453 ·
So my kid finally found a '75 Elky and we promptly went and bought it! $3500 with 350/350. Some rust but the price is right and it runs/drives well, motor is pretty solid, trans is not slipping at all so... NO SMOG!!!
Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Hood
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car
Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Land vehicle

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
great score!

i've been looking for a '74 to transplant our old parts into. it was a SS 454 four speed, 12 bolt posi. dad stripped it before sending it to the crusher (frame rot).

each one i find on FB, the title is MIA. it stinks, as some of the parts he'll be sending for scrap since the price is up. right now just stock exhaust manifolds and crossmember, front suspension.

check your frame under the ds cubby hole--they love to rot there. being a CA car, let's hope not!

-Rusty

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #457 ·
great score!

i've been looking for a '74 to transplant our old parts into. it was a SS 454 four speed, 12 bolt posi. dad stripped it before sending it to the crusher (frame rot).

each one i find on FB, the title is MIA. it stinks, as some of the parts he'll be sending for scrap since the price is up. right now just stock exhaust manifolds and crossmember, front suspension.

check your frame under the ds cubby hole--they love to rot there. being a CA car, let's hope not!

-Rusty
Yeah, it has that rot however, fortunately the rot only extended to the sheetmetal under the plate for the hidy-hole and didn't extend to the frame yet so we're lucky. Nothing we can't fix without a bit of welding and some 18 ga plate bent up. He's super stoked and I am too since he now has a pre-smog Chevy he can do what he likes with and drive it as his daily. That '74 you guys had sounds like it was a total bada$$ rig!! My son wants to swap in his M-20 so he can row his own in that thing and I think that is a great idea... We'll see though. Right now, it's a running and driving vehicle so that's what really counts.

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #459 ·
Update 03-16-2022: picked up another Atlas tool this last weekend. Got me an Atlas Mill to compliment my Craftsman Atlas lathe so I have almost everything I need to finish my shop when we move! My wife found this for me too!! I LOVE MY WIFE!!!! (Found me a Thor valve grinder too and that's gonna take a bit of cleaning and adjusting but... I have it!!)
Machine tool Cylinder Sewing machine Gas Engineering
Motor vehicle Vehicle Gas Nut Machine

441 - 460 of 498 Posts