Chevy Nova Forum banner
301 - 320 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
2,141 Posts
as luck would have it, found a clean super low mile 355 on Craigslist for $450. New roller block and one-piece RMC with aluminum heads, roller rockers, looks like a good solid build so, cash in hand, paid the man. Parts alone are worth it for my kid to use.
When I was joking around in my last post about you son not being happy with my post... I was just referring to the statement above (as I thought those aluminum heads would go on your son's engine).

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
When I was joking around in my last post about you son not being happy with my post... I was referring to the statement above (as I thought those aluminum heads would go on your son's engine).
Oh! DERP! Sorry, Mike... LOL. I get it! I totally missed the funny... :sleep: I need more coffee!!! Yeah, he may not be "AS" happy with the build now however, he's getting a free motor that has less than 5k mi on it and a blower with a blower carb too... so... he feels fortunate enough. If he complains, it can always find another project car with my name on the title... :p

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
If the heads turn out to be good, I would use them and give them a good port and polish and ace the other heads and spend the money elsewhere.
Already cancelled the order this morning first thing!! LOL

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 ·
When I was joking around in my last post about you son not being happy with my post... I was just referring to the statement above (as I thought those aluminum heads would go on your son's engine).
HAHAHAHAHA! Just now... LOLZ :p

Product Font Screenshot Technology Darkness

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #306 ·
If the heads turn out to be good, I would use them and give them a good port and polish and ace the other heads and spend the money elsewhere.
If the motor turns out to be a good build, gonna keep it, clean it up (bearings and rings if needed, good head gaskets and head studs regardless!!), file-fit rings for boost and then run it! I may be able to keep the money I budgeted for my 400 boost motor for other things if this motor turns out to be a runner!! I can think of other things I can buy with that $$$ I've wanted for my car.

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
Update 11-23-2021: I believe I have located the manufacturer/builder of this mystery engine. It came with orange steel parts to match the block and had "PRO STREET" on the oval air cleaner which shares a striking resemblance to this company's engine dress and parts. same manifold, heads, block, parts...

Their dressed motor:
Toy Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

My mystery motor:
Orange Red Material property Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Engineering Gas

...their specs range anywhere from 350 to 550 hp for these motors... I think judging from the grind marks on the rod cap ends, this may be a 383, not a 357 or 355.... Not able to tell but... won't know until I get it torn apart this weekend. Fingers crossed it has good parts inside. The company uses forged crank/rods and some good parts in their list but, again, it's a friggin' mystery!!

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #308 ·
Are there any markings in the aluminum heads
I haven't found a thing however, I did match up the casting to Skip White's offerings, the NKB castings which are I believe a Chinese Dart knock-off. All the reviews are mixed so it really depends on what they have in them and whether they were rebuilt or bolted on out of the box without checking them. I'll go through them and see. They're also shown as DNA (along with so many other names... LOL) heads that Eric Weingartner did a few flow tests, porting and videos on so they are't terrible... however again, the caveat to that is have they been worked or are they totally stock?!? We'll see. No markings on them to be found as of yet but they're dual pattern Vortec/Standard Gen I bolt patterns for intake and rocker cover... Guide plates, 7/16" screw-in studs, Viton seals, that's all I have at the moment so... I'll know more this weekend most likely.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
2,141 Posts
as luck would have it, found a clean super low mile 355 on Craigslist.... the guy just wanted his garage cleared of all his kid's abandoned crap so my score!!
hmmmm.... so you found this mystery motor in someone's garage.
Maybe it belonged to this guy!

·
Premium Member
Serious southern boy living in Jax Fl.
4,276 Posts
This is directly from Skip White's site:
View attachment 428714

If these are the actual flow numbers of this head, they're not terrible... Not "awesome" but not terrible. Better than a Vortec for sure... and lighter/cheaper...
Aluminum also allows for a higher compression all other things being equal.

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #316 ·
Aluminum also allows for a higher compression all other things being equal.
And I'll be running 6-7 psi boost too so, never enough cooling!! May need an intercooler though if I stick with the Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 I have planned... and the centrifugal. I intend on running this on E85 but will keep a couple tunes in my cache for regular 91 premium pump gas in case I can't locate the E85 if I'm out of town and needing fuel. The EFI is port injected so no fuel cooling to speak of so my IATs will likely be much higher than with a blow-through EFI or carb setup. I have plenty of room for an intercooler though and it won't really change much except having to route the charge and inlet piping to the hat on the top of the TB. Not sure if I wanna go air-air or air-water... may use water-meth injection instead but... still lots to figure out...

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #319 ·
Nothing wrong with this!!! All billet, not cast! It sure is pretty! I know it's not a Pro-Charger but... I don't need that much power or to spend that much money and these are guaranteed for life as long as I use their oil and send it in for service or pulley swap to their shop. can't be beat for under $3k delivered!

Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory Reflex camera Lens

301 - 320 of 320 Posts