Chevy Nova Forum banner
261 - 280 of 320 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
Update on kid's eyeball: doing better and got the antibiotic drops for a week just in case and good call, considering the origin of that car!! YUCK! Got him new sealed glasses for under his shield so he's good to go now. Here's a good picture to clearly demonstrate the depth of bondo on the rear qp lower... Just amazes me to no end what we found on this car! Hahahaha!!!
Wood Automotive tire Natural material Wing Tints and shades

Got more knot-wheels to remove it all too! No sanding until we figure just how thick the steel is from previous work. There was a ton of original paint under a lot of it all so pretty certain it's mostly unmolested but there are some places that are highly suspect for steel gauge... Probably like 24ga! Hahaha.... Ugh! Gonna fix it all though so whatever we find...
Automotive tire Gas Circle Automotive wheel system Machine

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
Good to hear about the kid. That Bondo is just amazing.
Thanks! Yeah, it was better in person. Like a christmas ham but without the cloves! :p can't wait to get the bumpers and all the trim off next weekend and start cutting on it! Wheel houses are coming out to widen a bit and QPs getting stretched smooth. First plan of action!!!

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
Can't wait to see this bad boy.
SAME! LOL!!! I've been staring at it for almost 2 years while collecting parts for the build. March 8, 2020 is the day I drove it home and haven't done much but rebuild the carb and fix the rear suspension. Looking forward to sharing our progress and I'm really glad I have a kid who pushed me to get back into another old Chevy. He knows how much I missed working on these cars and his mom sold my '66 Impy for $2,000 to pay her rent after we split up... That nearly killed me after all the years of hard work but, just a car. Just a car... Now, I have another that won't be sold by me EVER! My kids can bury me in it!! (Depending on how it runs, they may have to, hahaha).

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
Holy cow... that's a LOT of mud!!!!!

I got a piece of rust stuck in my eye ball when I was a kid playing around on a first generation Mazda RX-7. It festered in there for two weeks before I finally went to the doctor. They had to dremel the rust out of my eyeball. Since then, I am a stickler for eye safety LOL.

Kev

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
Holy cow... that's a LOT of mud!!!!!

I got a piece of rust stuck in my eye ball when I was a kid playing around on a first generation Mazda RX-7. It festered in there for two weeks before I finally went to the doctor. They had to dremel the rust out of my eyeball. Since then, I am a stickler for eye safety LOL.

Kev
Totally! I still have a small piece of metal embedded in my eye from working on my '71 Elky as a teenager mounting ladder bars and grinding the frame rails in the rear. I was wearing safety glasses too but... crap slips by. My poor son was really pissed off about it too. He's been waiting for a long time to get this build started but... He's now on the mend and back at it!! BTW, my son LOVES the first-gen RX-7s!! He's also been wanting to swap in a 3-rotor into a 1st gen Miata... Eventually, we will. Turbo and all!! :p

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
Won't look like the same car when it's finished. I remember when I bought this 72 it was a POS. My buddies were like what did you buy, but this 72 and the first 72 I bought I already knew what it was going to look like before I even started working on them.
Exactly!!! Well said! I've had a vision of my car in my head for many years and now I get to build it exactly how I want. Without any bondo though... Hahahaha :p

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Yep some people think we're crazy with our cars, but some people just don't have it in them and that's fine . I rather be in the garage working on my car bitching busting my knuckles then being out sitting at some bar. Don't get me wrong I like to have a beer or two but I have them in the garage working and bitching on the car.

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
Whoo hoo hoo! Looky what I found today!!! FrankenNova!!
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive parking light

Apparently a zipper spotweld seam was the thing back then.. welded at each end, brazed at the lower sill and taillight panel... Crazy the crap I have discovered while grinding the bondo... Hahaha

261 - 280 of 320 Posts