Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the story of how I found my 70 Nova. My youngest son has named it MethtrapNova, and this moniker will become evident after you read this story. It’s a good one!!
Car posted on local Craig's List 1-28-2020 and stayed on there for a couple months. Called the PO in Feb and asked if it was still available. Interesting individual to say the least. Took a few back and forth calls/texts and we finally connected. In the meantime, I had scheduled a trip with my youngest to head up to Chico (Northern CA) to look at a late model P9C1 Caprice for sale low miles, good cond and had the LS motor to boot (so we thought). Headed to Chico to take a look and drive the car to see if it was what was actually being presented. It was sadly (but fortunately) not. Too many issues and the guy was sketch city! We parted ways and headed to dinner then headed back down Hwy 99 to the Sacramento area. Crappy drive, traffic sucked so, a few stop and go’s along the way but we forged on. About mid-way, I decided to call about the ’70 Nova again and just happened to get hold of the owner that time, first try. He was there and we immediately headed to his house to see the Nova and check it out. Again, interesting individual… to say the least…
Upon arrival, we texted him we were there at his place and he came out with his friend (we have since named this individual “Skinny Pete” in honor of the MethtrapNova) and introduced himself and his friend. He threw us the keys and asked us to take it for a ride… So, after checking it over a bit and making sure we weren’t going to die either at their hands or the car, we started it up, checked lights and took off, my son and me alone. Straight to the point! This car was terrifying to drive. The steering shaft and bearings in the tilt column are loose so the steering wheel flops on the tilt mech, the power steering isn’t, and the engine power this thing had for the tires on it well.. I’ve driven some fast cars, had a ’62 Chevy II I built in the 80’s that would wheelie and ran low 10’s but this car was just not fun to drive. It was insane with the engine and trans/rear end in it, I could not keep the tires from spinning no matter what I did. It was like I was getting a mainline shot of epinephrine every time I changed gears. IT WAS AWESOME!!! My son had never driven in a car this raucous before and my daily is an old V8 Lexus and a 2002 SVT Lightning so, it had been a while since I’d been behind the wheel of a great analogue car like this with so much raw power and just nothing but metal and me. I knew right then something inside me broke…

I was toast! I really really wanted this car!!!

But…
Following quite a few burnouts and rips through the neighborhood (quite literally, the “hood”), we returned to the PO’s house and discussed the car. He showed us some of the other parts he had that went with it and it was staggering the amount of crap (see future pictures - coming soon) he had acquired along the way, some not even for the Nova, but it came with it nonetheless. Two other engines (one SBC, one Poncho), four sets of different headers, a TH350 and converter, another 10 bolt rear end drum to drum, wheels (three full sets of Centerlines, Welds, Enkies, some rally 15x8”, three sets of camel hump and fuelie heads, carbs, alternators, distributors, brackets, balancers, pulleys, roller rockers, front and rear bumpers, sway bars, traction bars, the list goes on and on and on, it would probably take two full truck loads just to get it all home.

Looking it over, it was really more than I wanted to take on at the time and I decided to just pass for the moment, but it stayed present in my mind for a while even after we left. I told the PO I would have to think on it and would get back to him… We left to head home, my son giggling the entire way, just poring over how awesome the car was and how bad he wanted me to buy it. For weeks he could not stop pestering me to go buy that car...

Then, COVID hit, and everything went crashing.

My company was interrupted, started working from home the beginning of March 2020 but, along the way, I had discussed the Nova over and over with myself (yes, both shoulders were occupied by my inner stupidity) and I finally convinced myself I could handle the project, now that I was working from home every day and that I had the $ right then to just pay the man (only slightly under asking price, but it was totally worth it with everything else that came with the car) I figured I had some time and effort to put into it to make it what I wanted, how I wanted, when I wanted. Now was the time

More to come soon… Lots and lots of pictures too!! Just wanted to start the build thread and provide some intro into the project. I've been yammering on and on here on SNS but not much in the way of my own project until now... so... ~to be continued...

Here are pictures of the day I went to purchase it. In all its state of glory.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man! Great story so far.
Looks like Placer gold on the door jambs.
Still sussing that out... Can't make out the paint code on the plate because the PO used a wire wheel to remove paint from the firewall and had his meth-way with the aluminum... so... maybe a touch of muriatic acid to bring out the letters and numbers form the pressures... Gonna have to check in to that... but it's not staying stock so... no harm, no foul. Would be nice to know what the orig combo was for this build at the factory...

Here's the last ride my son and I took in it before hanging it up to dismantle.

Last Ride in the METHTRAPNOVA

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
@Dirty Joe I have so many parts from the guy... just a huge list of stuff, most of it was great, some not so very but... I took it all. I have more new stuff sitting in my house, my office, my garage, and more still being delivered... for my build. I want to have everything for the most part ready to go so I don't have to wait for anything, considering how things are going these days with shipping and product availability... I'm seriously running out of room to store parts now!! :p :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
PARTS SITTING HERE WAITING FOR INSTALLATION OR *ORDERED AWAITING DELIVERY:

New full 3” mandrel bent exhaust and (8) 3” v-bands

New additional 3” 1-piece mandrel bent tailpipes bent to stock config to the bumper

New stainless 1 ¾” x 3” mid-length headers (only for a short time until the Vortech SC shows up)

New Full subframe connectors – weld-in

New CalTrac traction devices (traction bars)

New rear leaf spring sliders (weld-in)

New Full left and right side floorpans 18ga

New 4-speed trans hump 18ga

New Full Muncie M22 rebuild kit from Fivespeeds.com

New Muncie upgraded machined cast iron midplate and 1” extended main shaft from Fivespeeds.com

New Autogear Muncie Supercase & sealed bearings

New 4” cowl scoop – steel weld-on

New 8-point roll bar

New custom fab steering column

New Pro Car bucket seats (2)

Used VW Passat rear leather seats (to fit with the 8-point)

Used oldschool Grant 14" steering wheel

Used ’70 dash pod with working speedo and gauges

*New Aeromotive Gen II Stealth fuel tank with 340 gph pump E-85 compatible

*New Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 system

Nitto 555 RII 275-65-15 pair

Used Weld Draglites 15x6” (for the front)

Used Centerline Autodrag set (Rear 15x8 and Front 15x4)

8AN PTFE fuel system including all lines and fittings for supply

6AN PTFE fuel system including all lines and fittings for return

12” Android tablet for custom dash and console to monitor motor and Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 system

·
Registered
875 Posts
Great story, thanks for sharing it. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Reminds me of when my buddy bought his '69 Roadrunner back in '83. The guy he bought it from called a month or so after he bought the car and asked if he wanted some spare parts. My friend called me because I had a pick up truck. We made two trips with my truck, loaded with parts including the original 383 from the car, a 383 Magnum, one of every body panel, bumpers, trim, etc.. His parents were not thrilled and we had to pack all the parts in the rafters of their garage and in their basement.

·
Premium Member
1972 6 Cylinder Dragster :)
383 Posts
@Stroker Ace Ventura YES! YES! YES! Thank you for finally starting your build thread brother. So cool. Also with all of the extra parts you have, you can go into business selling stuff! I have a little pile at the front of my garage of crap I've been taking off of HATEFUL and replacing with new stuff. I sometimes feel like eventually I'll have enough to build a whole new car. Looking forward to updates and such.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@acd65post Indeed they did... Not sure what they were thinking but, that paint job was definitely in the spirit of meth... Thanks! My son and I are anxious to get started. He's ready to go when I am!! Before we start doing much, he wants to invest in some matte black paint to kill the meth look... I'm not sure I want to waste the time and $ on something I will just sand/grind off, knowing I am doing some serious steel bodywork to the fronts and rears of this car... Time will tell...

@drm101 Good story yourself! :p It's just insane the accumulation of spare parts we can have without ever realizing we have so much until we really lay it all out... I have almost run out of storage space and have moved parts into my foyer of my home... Fortunately, I live alone so I have nothing to yell at me but my conscience... which is only yelling at me to GET TO WORK ALREADY!!! Hope those stringers were solid in that garage attic...

@unstable Brother, I had to and you were in great part, my motivation to start this thread. After reading and watching your trials and tribulations, I finally made up my mind to just go ahead and pull the pin on this beast. I have so much more to write but that's what I do all day and in my entire life, I've not written so much as I do in my 50's... Never would have thought this is where I would end up... A technical writer of reports, codes, tests and laws.... Pretty funny. Of all the professions to land... I digress... Yes, pulling parts will be a task, and frankly, there's really not much in there to pull out. I am not likely to have as large a pile as you do however, one never knows what direction they will take along the way... You know... 9" rear end, tubular UCA/LCAs, radiator support, etc. ;) I feel ya!

Thank you all for the encouragement and props to you all for sticking with this awesome sport/hobby/passion/compulsion/addiction and keeping it alive for the next generation of hotrodders and car lovers. Just one more reason to do it! GO FAST, OFTEN!!!

~Andy

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,997 Posts
Sounds like your Nova had a shaky past... but now has a very bright future!
I'm looking forward to watching your build come together.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like your Nova had a shaky past... but now has a very bright future!
I'm looking forward to watching your build come together.
shaky and shady!! I'm sure if a drug dog sniffed around, contraband could be found in every seam and crevice... There are still places I have not yet evaluated, trunk lowers to start... Not sure I want my hands down there without stick-proof tac gloves on... Never know what ya might find in those over the last 50+ years...

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My favorite is the lime green hood springs.
the PO had a lime green stroker motor in it too but it spun a bearing and had some pretty significant grooves in #8 cyl wall... Not sure those will come out... but WP Sportsman heads and some good roller rockers so, worth taking. He also gave me a 326 Poncho motor... I think it's a 326. I'm going to give that away CHEAP! Intake to pan.. complete.

... Just up all night, extra paint... why not?!?

As I mentioned... Running out of room in the garage...

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, found a little extra $ landed in my account last night so I just bought a new Autogear Super main case for my Muncie so I can save the original one from grenading when I put the big motor and SC in the Nova... and a few other parts too to complete my rebuild. New shift forks, synchro keys and spring kit, keepers, retainers. the works! Almost have it all together for the rebuild. One more review of the parts list then... it's coming out!

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don't look to bad. Body looks to be in good shape.
Not too bad at all, just needs some attention. Some bondo in there for sure but, I knew that from day one. Rusted floorpans, not really bad but, if I'm in there, the whole thing is coming out left and right. Trans tunnel needs some repair from the PO hack job for the Hurst SC shifter in an auto tunnel but, nothing my welding and sheetmetal skills can't make worse :) Good start to a great ride. I'll keep posting as I go...

1 - 20 of 151 Posts