Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new to the forum, I am not sure if this has been covered or where to find it if it has.
I am wondering if there is a standard place the build sheet was placed in the car at the time it was assembled

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Build Sheet

Thanks Mike I appreciate the heads up, my vega build sheet was on top of the gas tank and was hoping I didn't have to pull the tank on this one unless I have to clean it , I wasn't able to save much of the vega one, it was really stuck on the tank, but being there for 40 years I can understand that lol

·
13,991 Posts
There was no assembly line requirement that build sheets be placed in cars, so don't be disappointed if you don't find one. It's also possible that a previous owner may have removed it, too. Many build sheets went in the assembly line trash cans. If trash wasn't close at hand, they stuffed them in the cars. It's also not unheard of to find a build sheet that isn't for your car.

You haven't mentioned what year Chevy II/Nova you have, but up until about 1968, there were usually two build sheets. One was Fisher Body, usually found in the seat springs, but I found one under the passenger side front carpet in my 63SS. The other was a Chevrolet chassis sheet. This is the one that usually gives drivetrain info, etc., and most commonly is found on top of the gas tank. When GM and Fisher Body integrated into GM Assembly Division (GMAD) in the late 60's, they went to a single build sheet.

Good luck with your search. Let us know how you make out.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
At least on 2nd gen cars ('66-'67), many owners have found build sheets behind the upright part of the back seat. There's a sheet-metal partition there and I'm guessing that the assembly line workers took advantage of that spot because it would have made the build sheet easy to access and read. I've also heard of them being taped to the sheet-metal that covers the rear window mechanisms on coupes. The workers apparently sometimes just put the upholstery panels on top of them!

I was 'tickled pink' to find the one in my '66 taped behind the rear seat back because, up until then, I didn't have any real proof that it was born an L79 car. It may be overkill, but I keep that build sheet in our safe-deposit box at the bank...

Good luck finding one in your car!

Edit: The members here are sort-of a nosy bunch! :D
If you don't mind telling us a little bit about yourself... we'd enjoy learning roughly where you're from and the year and model of your Chevy II/Nova.
Also, we LOVE photos; so, if you can post a few, we'd be very interested!

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,849 Posts
to : RandelBarrett

more "Build Sheet" info ...........

look at the bottom of 'this page --- OR --- any page" ... at
'Similar Threads' ................... a lot more info for your questions , sometimes.

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86445

Read : Post # 9 -- by : Nova Research

very good info about "build sheets vs broadcast sheets"

.............. and, welcome to SNS

( NPHNP )

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Found one in a 74 Spirit of America I bought taped to the inside of the driver's fender. How the heck it lasted that long there is any ones guess.

Also found one on top of a gas tank before too.

Jim
OK you must be living right, that is crazy.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Build sheet

Found one,but from another Acadian under the bucket seat back cover in my '66 SD :yes: Had '67 seats :cool:

·
Vendor
1,835 Posts
I have looked over the years, 14 first gen novas, no luck, it be like finding a arrow head
Same situation here. Have owned multiple, parted out many, never personally found one on a Nova.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts