Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a general question about building of the first generation.

The cowl tag on my 1966 says 11D, so I know that it was built the fourth week of November.

The question I have is: At what time did the plants switch over from one production year to the next?

I always thought that it was a late year production and was built in November 1966. But I just had a revelation cuz I was looking at the Protect-O-Plate and the date on it is printed as 4/22/1966. I have looked at both of these documents many many times over the last 35 years I have owned it (purchased when I was 15 as my very first car) - and never realized the date span.

Thanks.

· Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
So I have your 11D just like you do, for production of your '66 in November 1965.
Sold in April? The dealers stamped in the name of the buyer of the new vehicle on Protect-o-Plates, so this late November car could have been sold that late, perhaps. When you say the date is printed on the POP, how?

Usually August is the retooling/change time for vehicles of that period for the coming model year. July will typically be the last builds for that year, August is retooling, and by September they're pumping out new models for the next year. Your 11D is nearly certainly a November '65 build.

15,307 Posts
Franks post above is right on. Keep in mind the 11D is the Fisher body build date, the 4th week of November, 1965. The actual production date of the finished car was probably 12A, the first week of December, 1965.

The first '66 models were produced in the first week of September, 1965 and the last in the first week of July, 1966. These dates varied in other years.

As for the POP, the warranty period began when the car was purchased. Is the purchase date the one you're referring to as April 22/66?

Bob

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks all. That is what I was thinking, but as I said - I never really looked closely at the timeline.

I guess I should have uploaded the photos in the first post so you could see what I was referring to and what I was puzzled about. So better late than never. They are attached at the end of this reply.

Sold in April?
Yes, that was the purchase date. On the front of the PROTECTION PLAN booklet, the sales rep had written
Bruning 4-20-66 796
(The 796 matches no numbers that I can find anywhere on any document or ID. It was probably the numbered parking space in the lot or something. LOL.)

When you say the date is printed on the POP, how?
See the attached image. It is at the end of the address and just to the right of the state. (That would be to the left on a mirrored image that the POP were).

Is the purchase date the one you're referring to as April 22/66?

Bob
I am assuming that was the purchase date. Because that is the only date that is associated with the new owners. All other dates I have are Chevrolet dates. Associated with the build. And the post mark date on the envalope (in the attached photo) is "Apr 22 '66 Denver"

THIS CAUSES ME TO WONDER AND CREATES ANOTHER QUESTION regarding this same vehicle - I know that they went to the dealer and ordered the car and selected the options. How long did it take back then to get "Your" pre-ordered car? I am asking because it sounds like this was a long time - with a build date of November and they finally took possession (if that is what the April date is) 6 months later.

Attachments

15,307 Posts
Did the purchaser order the car, or was it already in dealer stock? I factory ordered a new car in mid November, 1964, and it was delivered the 3rd week of January, 1965....about 9 weeks. As another example, my L79 was built November 26, 1965, shipped the next day and was at the dealer December 6, 1965. However, they didn't sell it until Fall, 1966, which would be the warranty start date. The time span from build to purchase on your car sounds like it was already in dealer stock.

Bob

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did the purchaser order the car, or was it already in dealer stock? I factory ordered a new car in mid November, 1964, and it was delivered the 3rd week of January, 1965....about 9 weeks. As another example, my L79 was built November 26, 1965, shipped the next day and was at the dealer December 6, 1965. However, they didn't sell it until Fall, 1966, which would be the warranty start date. The time span from build to purchase on your car sounds like it was already in dealer stock.

Bob
When I went to pick up the from them, the verbal conversation was that they ordered it. AS they wanted it.

He told me much about the car because it was his baby. He LOVED his Herbie and was so sad to part with it. But he had glaucoma (he had just turned 70) and could no longer renew his drivers license. He did not want to sell the car, but was forced to. He was soooooo happy tho that it was going to another Nova family. So he was certain we would take good care of it.

I was 15 years old and I could not stand the look or the style of the car. A "mor-dor" with 6 Earl Schibe paint jobs of baby puke tan on it. I did not have the heart to tell him that my reason for purchasing the car was to part it out as needed to keep my moms beautiful 66 SS Hardtop running. I had no intention of ever driving that little car.

As their kids went off to college and they were in their 50s, they decided it would be a good time to spend their children's inheritance and buy a car and tour the west with it. He told me that they went to the dealer and he told me about all of the selections (options) they choose. They told me about their trips to Zion and Canyonlands and Dinosaur and Mesa Verde in the car. He was so happy talking about their adventures, but he cried when he traded it for 300 bucks. "Herbie" was his baby.

So maybe the options he was talking about were the ones that they decided on from the dealers inventory - who knows. But he did tell me that they went to the dealer and "ordered" the car. He did tell me about how they "chose" the options for the car and his preferences and his wifes preferences. He did tell me about the day (different day from the day they "ordered") they "picked up" the car. Now this could mean that he "ordered" it and the sales rep said something like we will be getting a new shipment in next week and I will hold back a Sandlewood Sedan for you.... and when they chose the options, maybe that is what they "settled" for, or from the list in the colour brochure, or maybe the "MUST have" options are on the car as it arrived at the dealership and the rest of their "wish list" might have had some on the car and some were not - who knows. He never said and I never saw the order form. So what he meant by "ordered" "Selected" and "Chose" could have different connotations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.