Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 9 inch in my 67 now and im tired of these dirty old drums,is there a junkyard set up i can use? i dont mind having to buy some bolt on brackets but i can't afford a aftermarket kit at the moment.
thanks

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
98-02 Camaro disc brakes have been done here on some other members vehicles.. I suspect they were on GM axles.. I have a set on hand but have not yet done the swap.. larger wheels will be a requirement.. Also, S10 Blazers came with rear disc brakes.. I believe the models from 92 and newer use rear disc brakes which I have seen others use on their original Nova rear axle.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
98-02 Camaro disc brakes have been done here on some other members vehicles.. I suspect they were on GM axles.. I have a set on hand but have not yet done the swap.. larger wheels will be a requirement.. Also, S10 Blazers came with rear disc brakes.. I believe the models from 92 and newer use rear disc brakes which I have seen others use on their original Nova rear axle.
Due to the bolt pattern in the backing plates of the LS1 (98-02) F-body disc brakes, they won't work on a 9" without changing the bearing flange on the axle housing.

However, I have 93-97 F-body rear discs on my 9" rear end, with these brackets:
http://www.flynbye.com/catalog/i29.html

You can find all the brake stuff at a junk yard. One thing that might be a sticking point for you is the brake offset. The distance from the face of the axle flange to the backing plate mounting surface on the axle bearing flange on the housing should be about 2.75".

You might have to re-drill the mounting holes in the mounting brackets in order to "clock" the calipers to avoid interference with shocks or leaf springs. I think I had to use two right-side calipers to get both bleeder valve to point upward, but that's not a problem.

I hope this helps,

Gerry

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brakes

Thanks for the info,, does the explorer have a e brake built into caliper? And I’m guessing the brakes in the explorer is welded to the housing?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Thanks for the info,, does the explorer have a e brake built into caliper? And I’m guessing the brakes in the explorer is welded to the housing?
The Explorer brakes have a drum-in-hat e-brake. One consideration for using the Explorer brakes is that they are set up for 5 on 4 1/2" wheel stud spacing, instead of the Chevy 5 on 4 3/4". Drilling the rotors to match your Chevy bolt pattern is cheaper than drilling your axles for the Ford bolt pattern and getting new wheels to match.

The 93-97 Camaro/Firebird brakes have the e-brake in the caliper, using a cam/lever to clamp the pads to the rotor. It works, but not as securely as the drum-in-hat style.

Gerry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts