Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got tired of the goofy prices for a decent 12 bolt rear on ebay. So I bought a few 12 bolts out of 65 thru 69 Impala's. Heres one of them I did for the 68 that is in progress. I have 300.00 total for what you see in the pic. including the price of the rear end. I already picked up a nice new Posi and hardened axles. Also putting 3.73 gears in it. Only thing left to get are axle bearings and seals.

What I started with

Housing all welded up. Ready to get sent to my brother to be powder coated then assembled.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Which housing ends are you using?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MSR-7905 Moser Housing ends

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
hi, are those C-clip eliminators? just curious, what do you plan to do with the stock 12 bolt cover and the bolts that hold it? thanks

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi, are those C-clip eliminators? just curious, what do you plan to do with the stock 12 bolt cover and the bolts that hold it? thanks
These are the ends that use the factory bearing, seal and you retain the c-clips. I also have the ends that eliminate c-clips but did not like how they attach to the rear axle tubes. They need an additional sleeve to be inserted into them and the axle tube, or so I believe they need this to be strong. The ends I used have a sleeve made onto it that goes into the tube and is tapered to allow fluid to get to the bearing. I bought the c-clip eliminators that press onto stock diameter axles. So I can always change my mind if I decide to actually install the eliminators. Just would need to cut down the end caps some. I will be using the stock cover and bolts. Sorry. I am making this car sort of a sleeper. Put the stock components back on the outside of the motor to make it look more original. 383 w 11.5 to 1 with Dart heads in sheep's clothing.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Why didn't you go with a 10 bolt 8.5?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well as for finding a rear end. I found all of the Impala rear ends on Ebay. I have 4 of them. Also have a few 9 inch ford rears as well. The highest I paid for any of the rear ends is 150.00. I mig welded the components on the rear. I did not have any problems with distortion. Lots of measuring throughout the process to be safe that nothing moved. Already had the rear all together and everything fits and works fine. Just took it all apart again to get it powder coated. Why didn't I use an 8.5? Well I shortened the 12 bolt housing down to the same length as a 62-67 width and used 62-67 hardened axles. So either way I would of shortened the rear so I just used a 12 bolt. Put the spring perches in the stock position for a 68-72. I have 3 different sets of rims just for this one car. 14x7 torque thrusts with 3.0 back space, 15 x 8 vette rallys with 4.0 back space and a set of drag lites 15 x 8.5 with 4.5 back space. All these wheels will hit the outer Qtr if used unless I jack the rear of the car way in the air. Now with the rear shortened, I have plenty of room both on the inner wheelhouse as well as the outer wheel house.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Nice job, maybe have to talk to you when I'm do for an upgrade:D. Nice work!:yes:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Well as for finding a rear end. I found all of the Impala rear ends on Ebay. I have 4 of them. Also have a few 9 inch ford rears as well. The highest I paid for any of the rear ends is 150.00. I mig welded the components on the rear. I did not have any problems with distortion. Lots of measuring throughout the process to be safe that nothing moved. Already had the rear all together and everything fits and works fine. Just took it all apart again to get it powder coated. Why didn't I use an 8.5? Well I shortened the 12 bolt housing down to the same length as a 62-67 width and used 62-67 hardened axles. So either way I would of shortened the rear so I just used a 12 bolt. Put the spring perches in the stock position for a 68-72. I have 3 different sets of rims just for this one car. 14x7 torque thrusts with 3.0 back space, 15 x 8 vette rallys with 4.0 back space and a set of drag lites 15 x 8.5 with 4.5 back space. All these wheels will hit the outer Qtr if used unless I jack the rear of the car way in the air. Now with the rear shortened, I have plenty of room both on the inner wheelhouse as well as the outer wheel house.

how did you know where to weld the spring peches on the rear end?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Used another factory 12 bolt I have out of an original 68 SS. Jigged up the stock rear and then set new rear in jig with perches. The perches did have to be modified some. They are the aftermarket ones. I bought them from Tamraz. Same as all the others on the market. They are not turned inward on the front. If you look at the stock perches on a rear end, they do go inward towards the front. The aftermarket ones are straight. I opened up the axle mounting areas in order to get the correct angle, Then welded them on.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
What did you narrow the rear to?? I have a 68 that im going to install a dana 60 in. I want to keep it easy no tubbing or nothing like that.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Used another factory 12 bolt I have out of an original 68 SS. Jigged up the stock rear and then set new rear in jig with perches. The perches did have to be modified some. They are the aftermarket ones. I bought them from Tamraz. Same as all the others on the market. They are not turned inward on the front. If you look at the stock perches on a rear end, they do go inward towards the front. The aftermarket ones are straight. I opened up the axle mounting areas in order to get the correct angle, Then welded them on.
oh ok i see. just curious, where did you get a jig? can you use this jig for anything? i know they used to make the subframes on jigs. can i weld a another body mount bracket to a subframe at the firewall location? mine is rusty there.
when you got these rear end perches from tamarz, did the box they were in say Hugger performace on it? also when you opened up one end of the axle mounting area, did you have a hole or a gap where it didnt touch becasue you angle it? thanks so much

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What did you narrow the rear to?? I have a 68 that im going to install a dana 60 in. I want to keep it easy no tubbing or nothing like that.
I shortened the rear 1 Inch less then the stock length 68-72 on both sides.

oh ok i see. just curious, where did you get a jig? can you use this jig for anything? i know they used to make the subframes on jigs. can i weld a another body mount bracket to a subframe at the firewall location? mine is rusty there.
when you got these rear end perches from tamarz, did the box they were in say Hugger performace on it? also when you opened up one end of the axle mounting area, did you have a hole or a gap where it didnt touch becasue you angle it? thanks so much
I made the jig. Took iron plates and welded studs to line the spring perches onto. Then positioned them onto the stock 12 bolt. I then welded a brace across both plates. For the pinion angle. I added a extension towards the front off of the center of the cross brace. Then made a plate that bolted to the u joint yoke. I set the springes perches level and then welded the yoke plate to the extension bar. The box did say Hugger perfomance on them. I did also by a set from Paddock and they did not say Hugger on the box but they where identical. Both where wrong. I only think there is one supplier making these and are repackaged accordingly. Wehn I opened the one side of the perch up to get the correct angle. It did make the other side opening a little larger. It was easily welded up though. The opening was so small. It doesnt take that much material to be taken off to make the perches line to the correct angle. Here are a few more pics of the rear. All coated and assembled and going into car. Still waiting on my perch mounts, backing plates and rear cover from my brother. He is still coating them. He got the rear housing done quick so I could assemble the internals into the housing.

The housing is just sitting on the leaf springs and I have the c clamp vise grips holding it so it doesnt fall out.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nova rear.

When you welded the ends on did you have a narrowing bar to keep the end straight? Did you check to see if the housing was straight before you welded the ends on?

Just a added thought. Jim

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Shortened a total of 2". 1 Inch per side and no I didnt have to tub car. I did check to see if the housing was straight with a bar with slugs that slide into the bearing surfaces. Main Carrier bearing and outer axle bearings.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts