Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 69 I am building right now. 350 3 speed stick (swapping to 700r4 with floor shifter soon)

What are some of the reasons you all decided to use a bench seat or bucket seats. I will not be spending time at the strip, just weekend cruise.

I like the idea of tossing the wife in the middle of the bench and cruising down the road, but buckets I bet would be more comfortable.

Currently I have buckets that need to be redone, for the same price I can get a nice bench seat... I am torn between the 2. My first fun car, so I dont have past experience to go off of.

Let me know why you all chose what you have!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I swapped from a bench to buckets.

I'm 6'6" and just didn't fit with the old high in the sky bench. It would have gotten swapped out anyway in favor of buckets for Pro Touring anyway... taking one left corner at speed and I woulda found myself in the passenger's seat. :D
Haha, lucky me im only 5'10. I spent a few nights checking out your build, REALLY made me want to spend the $$ on a LT1. Sweet ride

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I was so torn between bench and buckets, I have one of each!:eek:

I'm 5,8" and I need the seat (bench) all the way back to be comfortable, it's a 4 speed car. It is a bit awkward for the wife to sit in the middle seat while driving, but it's great at the drive-in.:devil: I prefer the sleeper look of the bench, most folks expect to see buckets, it's pretty much the norm for sports/muscle cars, so the bench and 4 speed are different to see.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I find bucket seats to be more comfortable and sportier looking. I don't like bench seats, especially vinyl ones, because you kinda slide on them when turning.

Even if you redo your bucket seats, that still leaves the back seat bench to, um, toss your wife on :devil:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got bench seats in mine :yes: i don't think ill ever switch to buckets :no: it makes it easier to have your lady friend get closer to you ;) slide on over :D
I am thinking the same thing, the ladies is the only reason I am really considering a bench... anybody wanna loan me a bench seat car to see if Ill enjoy a ladie in the front :yes:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Bench cause that's the way it came and everyone has buckets.

Like the bench. It's different than most , comfortable and that's the way the car was in the 70's...

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Got bench in my 72 and had a bench in the 71 before this one. All my Novas that I have had(6 - two doors, 3 - four doors) have had bench seats. I have cloth but the front one doesn't match and I want to have them done in vinyl myself.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
I like both, but I have to tell ya, I love the bench. I've recently gone out of my way to have that bench in there. Factory buckets are sweet, but I had cruddy racing buckets. Never again!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like the bench. It's different than most , comfortable and that's the way the car was in the 70's...

Bench looks great in there.

Seems most are saying bench, any downsides other than bigger guys don't fit and the obvious sliding around?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hopefully your floor shifter is not to far back that you can't move the bench up. I I have a bench but will change to buckets so I can move the seats forward or back for different drivers. I also want a console and a couple cup holders :D

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Easy choice...

If you're just going to cruise as you mentioned then bench seat is the way to go.

If you're going to be doing any "spirited" driving then bucket seats.

If you still want to do some spirited driving but still want to snuggle with your honey up front they make bench/bucket seats. Basically a bench seat with sunken areas for where you sit.

John

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm going with buckets on mine. It was a DD, and it will be again when it's finished. Getting 2 kids in and out of the back with a bench seat (2 door!) does not equal fun in my book!:no:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I have a bench in my wagon but have decided to throw buckets in. They are original buckets from a 63 so it will still be era correct which was my second most concern but my first was having a little additional space between my knees and the steering wheel. I have bench seats in both my chevelle and my c20 pu and longer car rides get to be a bit uncomfortable. I guess if I want the lady to sit closer I can just take the truck or the chevelle out but I hope for my wagon to be for longer cruises and the most comfortable of my vehicles.

-jim

·
Registered
164 Posts
My car came with factory buckets and I wouldn't even consider a bench, I just don't find them comfortable. I may consider looking for something that sits even lower than the buckets, I feel like I'm going to bump my head on the roof :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
I have a bench in mine with a four gear. I am 6 feet and don't have any problems hitting the roof.

The seat belt takes care of my "spirited" driving. My car was born with a bench and a four speed, although in Gold.

Cup holders, well, it is a challenge with a 4 speed, no power steering and holding a coffee. Reminds me of the "good old days"

Ray

1 - 20 of 38 Posts