Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey I'm looking to put bucket seats in my 76 nova and I'm wondering what everyone puts in there cars.
I don't think I will be able to get any factory seats so i'm looking at ether after market or something easy
find from a diffrent type of car. I think I remember someone saying they put late model Monte Carlo seat in there car
but I don't remeber. Any way I'm just looking for some ideas. Pictures would be helpful ;) thanks in advance Robert.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Besides changing my mind????:confused:

I wanted to find some leather 01 up monte carlo seats. I did not want to order from ebay, pay shipping and then have them scratched or worn. I looked locally, but no luck.

I decided to wait and re-install my cavalier seats.

I used unistrut to install nice floor mounts that I could reuse with seats purchased later and not have to put new holes in my carpet. Problem is, new seats could not be off both directions for them to work (and not cut new holes in carpet). Also, I was going to order custom fitted seat covers so I could have black front and back seats. These would cost over $200, front and $200 for back.

So I decided maybe I should check into redoing my seats. $900 - $1400. So I got frustrated and ordered Proscat Sportsmans from Jegs $150 each, $331 total. Not my first choice, but they will work. I will probably redue my back seat this winter. After ordering, I wondered if I should have got the Jegs Simulated leather for just under $200.

I just got them yesterday, and will need to modify my mounting as the bracket on the slider is 90* with the floor instead of flat :confused:. I will take some pics and post.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Procar seat's look like the Seat's in the Classic industries Book. can anyone confirm this? i was looking at those as well as the Mounting Brackets they sell for them. Right now I'm just trying to figure out my Options.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
1999 Monte Carlo buckets, $90 at a swap meet, then re-covered in charcoal. . . . .

J

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
My 75

I picked up some 75 buckets with slider brackets or my 75. While the seats look right the holes in the floor are different than the bench seat they replaced.

I have jerry rigged an extension but am wonder what to do here.:confused:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
When I first installed my buckets, I did the same. It is probably is not the strongest mounting.

Like I mentioned, I used unistrut (used in electrical, plumbing, etc construction) Easy to cut (I recut several pieces) and I could mount bolts anywhere. I hesitate to post pictures because I utilized existing holes already drilled and it looks like a hack job. But it will be covered.

Other people have used square tubing, which can be purchased at Lowes, etc. I also saw some angle material that you could use.

Another option is to locate stock brackets and weld them in.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have 0 pics, but I have what I think, are some seats out of a cavalier myself. They don't fit. In fact, the boy who installed them, only put 1 bolt in the drivers side!!:eek:

However, my old '72 I think I had 88 camaro seats on a custom bracket. My friend has a set of later model firebird / camaro seats and they dam near fit straight in he said.

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
I am using 95 Firebird seats and original seat tracks and floor mounts removed from a 76. The drivers seat is power so some mods were necessary, the passenger seat was basicly a bolt in.

The factory seats are not very comfortable IMO. The bench seat felt better than the buckets.

Seat mounts prior to removal

seats from the F body

FWIW the seats in my 2000 Grand Am are about the same size

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Its out of an 02 Monte Carlo. I have to get a newer plate that does not have the gear selector on it and a longer B&M cable. It has a traction control button I am going to try to utilize for my line lock.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Brackets

I found a pile of old GM brackets at the local Pick your part wrecking yard. Was able to match some brackets that fit the available holes in the floor. Then I had to drill some holes in the brackets to mount the seats into them. Lot of work but made it happen.

I think I should have just fabricated some brackets some how.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts