Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gone from front to back underneath my '72 and replaced/restored everything. Even swapped the 307 for a 468. I found all those items rather quickly. BUT, finding a set of factory bucket seats seems to be impossible. Everywhere I search I find nothing or get no response. I'm open for suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

I think the issue with finding the original buckets is that not only are they expensive, but they are expensive to ship as well. There's really no cheap way to pack and send them. Sad but true. I was lucky that mine was a factory bucket seat car and still had the factory seats in it when I got it in 1992.

Jason

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Nice pair of 72 buckets on ebay right now.
I've got three pairs of the strato and hoarding all I can get.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies fellas,
I've got a set of 68 camaro buckets but they just don't fit or look right. I heard that the early '70's camaros have the same seats as the '72 nova.
I saw a set of buckets in a '70 nova that were out of a '72 monte carlo, they looked really nice.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
I believe a couple of the repop places (Classic Industries, Ground Up) sell all of the parts needed to build bucket seats from scratch..if you cannot find what you want you and really want buckets this is a way to get them...of course it might be a little spendy...but as they say "sometimes you just gotta do what ya gotta do":)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's some good info, thanks...........I'm pretty resourceful, I'll come up with something (LOL):)

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Nova72 said:
. I heard that the early '70's camaros have the same seats as the '72 nova.
The high back buckets in the 72-80 Trans Am's and Camaro's have the same seat frames and foam as the 72-up Nova. The main differences are the seat covers and tracks. The covers are available, but the tracks are not.
I made the Trans Am tracks work in my car with some custom made mounts welded to the floor.

John

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I had the same problem. When I decided to convert the bench to buckets I looked for more than a year. I finally threw in the towel and had a set of 68 Camaro buckets recovered to match the rear Nova seat. Wouldn't you know it but 3 months later I came across an early 70's Camaro in the bone yard with a set of buckets. $50 and an hour in the rain and mud and they were mine. No jewels by any means but as you know..hard to find. They are comfortably resting on a shelf wating to be revived so don't give up...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Billy_Pilgrim said:
Anybody hoarding Bench seats? ANYBODY!?! :confused: :mad:

Didn't think so. :(

I have one just lying around, but I don't think that would be considered "hoarding". It does make a nice place to rest/parts shelf I must say.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I just got 66 Chevelle bucket seats that were shipped to me from WA. They guy shipped them in UPS cartons (I can post a picture if needed) and they arrived in good shape. He did ship the seat rails separate, since they added to the height and weight of the seats which drove the cost way up. When I was looking at some seats being shipped from the East Coast to the West, I was quoted about $80 per seat from the buyer...

I have heard that Greyhound bus lines will ship pretty cheap terminal to terminal...

I have a 69 bench from a 66 Chevelle, not hoarding... I want to get rid of it, got buckets.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was hopeing to find some buckets locally. But I'll just have to deal with shipping cost if need be. I've also got a bench seat that can go when I get some buckets :) .

·
Registered
278 Posts
And herein lies the problem with BENCH seats..There are a few people on this board that have bench seats they want to get rid of, and I would LOVE to have one, BUT they are all THOUSANDS of miles away :( ... Its one of those things where you know it would be easier to ship in two pieces, yet if someone gives you a great deal on one, how do you then ask them to tear the stupid thing apart so you save even MORE money on it, and THEN expect them to run it across town to ship the thing on a Greyhound Bus?! Arrrrgggh. :eek: . Sure wish I could find one locally, but thats a FAT chance in hell.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i dunno fellas... i've had quite a few 55 chevs in my time. lotsa guys trash the bench in favor of buckets so much that bench seats have taken on a new value over the years... the last bench i sold was probably 15 years ago... stock split bench "Springs only", no covering WITH the end caps... 300 bucks. and that was a deal.

i imagine the Chevy II/Novas are the same gig...

buckets or a bench, they all have their market and supply and demand still rules the day...

·
Registered
663 Posts
Haha, novaNut, My Bench seat makes a great beer rest area, its on top of cinderblocks, And it sure does store parts as well. currently it has a set of headers/ Box of the old brake setup/ And i think i slaped on another box of random parts.

The bench seat i have has perfect foam and everthing is there. Just needs recovering.... I dont see why people have a hard time finding bench seats.... now buckets i understand.

But now i have two pairs of bucket seat in perfect condition.... Im hording one set.

Rennskii

1 - 20 of 37 Posts