Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to install new foam and seat covers on my bucket seats. One thing I do not like is the lack of a seat back latch. Has anybody ever retrofit their frames to incorporate a seat latch?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
the 67 buckets had that button on the sides for latches on the seat backs. maybe you could find a fisher body manual, not sure if it will show the assemble of the latch.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I recent picked up a ‘74 Cutlas and think that it is a possible latch system that could be a way to get a latch into the older style GM bucket seats.. I figure there are probably other OEM type mechanisms from 73-77 era GM cars..

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seat Latch

That looks do-able to me. I bet they are not reproduced so I'll have to hunt up a donor.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I would hit some upholstery shops and see if they have any of these type of mechanisms or a place where they can be acquired.. My upholstery guy has does a lot of 60’s Chevys and has a stock pile of frames on hand.. I suspect other upholsterers probably have similar collections..

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you

Your photos & idea have been very helpful. I purchased a set of seat bezels and knobs off E**y and ordered a right hand latch for a 69 Camaro (re-pop). When the items arrive I will try to do a write up on the procedure for others who may be interested. My frames are 65 Corvair. I am using them because I need a narrower seat in my Nova. I want to use a 62 or 63 SS full size floor console.
:)

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I just had a set of seats reupholstered a couple of months ago and didn’t even think of adding a latch.. Definitely keep us posted on the latch install.. Maybe I can integrate the system to an other set of seats that will get recovered in the future.. I kind a bugs me when you have to lay in to the brakes and the passenger seat flips forward..

Corvair seats are the same as A body buckets Chevelle, Le Mans, etc. Not any narrower then the rest of the GM bucket seats of the era Impala and other full sized cars included.. Supposedly 65 Nova seats are narrower but they are Unicorns..

I have fitted Corvair seats in one of my 63’s. The seat frames will be very close to the tunnel at the base.. Not a great deal different from the Nova seats fit in relation the the tunnel but the Nova and Impala seat base is contoured differently which make more clearance room to the tunnel.

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661229

·
Registered
108 Posts
I used Procar Lowback series 1400 seats. Mainly cuz they were the lest expensive I could find. But I think there comfortable although with the Procar brackets the seats are to high for me. And I'm just 5'11" tall. I'll lower them at some point. Excuse the mess, I'm in the middle of working on stuff....

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts