Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so maybe I didn't inspect this 63 Hardtop as closely as I thought I did. I started working on the interior, pulled out the seats and carpet. The floor pans have been replaced, and they did a good job (not butcher job), but there's no "reinforcement" at all in the floor pan for the bucket seat bolts or the seat belts. There was just a 2" (or so) washer on the underside. My concern is with no reinforcement, there's a potential for the seat to rip out of the floorboard in a crash.

Naturally Im not planning on crashing my toy, but things happen. I also have to think that if I did get hit hard enough to rip the seat out, then probably significant damage and injury would occur regardless. But, I've got to clear my mind.

Question for the masses. Is there any seat or seat belt reinforcement that is standard and should be there as part of the floor pan? Or, is this pretty much the way it is. Anything I could or should do to strengthen the area to make it a bit safer? Thought about welding in a piece of flat steel on the underside so at least the force of any impact would be spread across the entire floor pan width, not just the bolt hole where the seat bolt is going through.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Most of the Chevy 2 parts dealers sell the replacement seat mounts as the factory used. I think you might find in the for sale section here used ones. The bucket-seat cars had a reinforcement that straddles the driveshaft hump. HTH, Mike

·
Registered
461 Posts
Here are some pics of the original braces

[/IMG]
Front of front seat outside brace
[/IMG]
Front seat belt outside brace
[/IMG]
Front seat belt inside brace

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.... Looks like I've got a little more work to add to the list. To be expected I reckon

Looks like there's perhaps a couple of different ways of skinning this cat. Chevy 2 only had a set of bucket seat mounting conversion brackets for $30, or the underside brace for $75 per side.

Or the Ebay item posted by 63ssvert would work, but I guess I weld those in, on the inside. Are those enough structurally?

Guess I've got some research to do.

Thanks

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Here is what goes on the top side over the hump.

EarlyIIs

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the pics Earlylls. So, now Im starting to get the picture. The underside seat reinforcement brace should be there whether it's bench or bucket. The bracket over the hump takes care of the inner bucket mounts. So, what reinforces the outer rear mounting point?

One of these years I'll learn to spot the small things on project cars before I buy them.

Mike

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Quick question. Are they factory buckets? If not then the supports would probably be in the wrong place anyway. If that is the case, you may be better off making your own support. Maybe just weld some thicker steel to the bottom of the floor pan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts