Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for creating another thread on bucket seats but I have an issue that I did not notice in any of the existing threads...

I converted my 68 from a bench seat to bucket seats. However the bucket seats are much too high for me. Sitting in the bucket seat my head is hitting the car roof - with the bench seat I was fine. I am only 6' tall but the buckets don't seem to work for me. As my car was orginally a bench model, I used the bench to bucket brackets from the Paddock

http://www.paddockparts.com/Paddock/product_family.asp?family_id=4004&gift=False&0=dept.asp,dept_id=8&menu_id=&Tree=,Nova&1=dept.asp,dept_id=150&menu_id=&Tree=0,Nova Interior&mscssid=C0629D6276ED450E873EA2E9C363B4DF

The bottom of my bucket seats are 8 1/2 inches thick. Does this sound right? Has anyone else encountered this problem? I am thinking of switching to an aftermarket seat to reduce the height. My only other option would seem to be to cut the seat mouting brackets but that would only lower the seat by an inch or so and I need about 4 inches.

Thanks for any help
Steve

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Another member here has the same problem and he used the aftermarket mounts also. I don't think he has solved his problem yet either, have to check with him.
Do you have correct seat tracks?
Got pics?

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
swilson68 said:
Sorry for creating another thread on bucket seats but I have an issue that I did not notice in any of the existing threads...

I converted my 68 from a bench seat to bucket seats. However the bucket seats are much too high for me. Sitting in the bucket seat my head is hitting the car roof - with the bench seat I was fine. I am only 6' tall but the buckets don't seem to work for me. As my car was orginally a bench model, I used the bench to bucket brackets from the Paddock

http://www.paddockparts.com/Paddock/product_family.asp?family_id=4004&gift=False&0=dept.asp,dept_id=8&menu_id=&Tree=,Nova&1=dept.asp,dept_id=150&menu_id=&Tree=0,Nova Interior&mscssid=C0629D6276ED450E873EA2E9C363B4DF

The bottom of my bucket seats are 8 1/2 inches thick. Does this sound right? Has anyone else encountered this problem? I am thinking of switching to an aftermarket seat to reduce the height. My only other option would seem to be to cut the seat mouting brackets but that would only lower the seat by an inch or so and I need about 4 inches.

Thanks for any help
Steve

Steve, I have a 72 that had a bench seat in it. Height was fine. Bought an old friends totally rusted out beat to death 72 SS he bought new. I cut out the bucket seat floor brackets, had them blasted, POR 15'd em and welded them into my car, (then POR 15'd em again).... Had his floor pan there as a guide to make sure everything went in the same places. Took his original seat frames and had em blasted, painted them, bought new foams through Year One then PUI correct covers. Installed foams and covers then blasted the sliders and got them installed. After all that I ended up with the "tall seat syndrome " you mentioned. I am only 5-7" so I fit fine but my seat is too high for my liking. I noticed pictures posted in some other threads how the studs were welded centered on some of the bracket sets and welded further towards the rear of the car on other sets. These are the exact same brackets but the stud placing is slightly different. These are factory GM also. It would be nice if someone with an untampered with 72 could take some measurements for us. Might help. I have looked at a lot of 72 Novas for sale online and everytime I look specifically at the seats. I wonder if the foams were lower for the 72 Novas? If I compare mine to pictures of factory 72 SS cars my seat bottoms look higher.....could just be me. Anyways hope that helps a bit. Dave

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
NovaPwr said:
I noticed pictures posted in some other threads how the studs were welded centered on some of the bracket sets
These are 72 and up mounts

NovaPwr said:
and welded further towards the rear of the car on other sets.
These are 69 to 71 mounts and they are actually towards the front of the mount.

NovaPwr said:
It would be nice if someone with an untampered with 72 could take some measurements for us. Might help.
Which measuerments do you want? There are some on NovaShop.net website for placement of mounts but not sure which year.
Let me know as I'll try to get it and put it in the research project.

NovaPwr said:
I wonder if the foams were lower for the 72 Novas? If I compare mine to pictures of factory 72 SS cars my seat bottoms look higher.....could just be me.
Allen396 had his seats redone with new foam and it was too high for him also, he's over 6'. He took them back to the upholstery shop and cut the foam down.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think this is a common problem with *new* seats.

I just had my bench seat redone: springs repaired, new foam etc. I'm 6'0" and had a similar problem; my hair grazes the headliner. This was something I was not expecting, but it only made sense: new foam, good springs, it was bound to be higher.

I had stock foam (2 inch I believe) installed in the front so I'm about 102% sure the seat feels just as it did 36 years ago. Makes me wonder how the "custom" seats with their thicker foam worked out for people. :confused:

·
Premium Member
618 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bucket Seats

Guys,

Thanks for the info. I will get some pics of my seats posted asap, but from what others have posted and just looking at my seats it appears that the extra height would be from the new foam and springs. I will call the upholstery shop that did the seats and see if they have any recommendations.

Steve

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
71SS said:
I need to correct myself on this. I should have looked at this pic before I posted. This will show the correct way the mounts are in a 69-71.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/413582641/1413588022043601896qFSXqf
Noticed that when I read your first post, made me think back to make sure the old donor was a 72 but it is. Mine are welded on the center of each bracket pretty much thus centering the stud on the bracket. As far as measurements go, the lower seat heighth is the culprit I believe. Further posts seem to point to the new taller foams as the possible problem. Maybe they will settle a little over the next couple of years.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New Seat Foams

NovaPwr,

Thanks for the picture. These appear to match closesly with the for my seat bolts. I contacted the upholstery company that did my seat and over the phone they indicated that the foam would most likely be the culprit. Once I get my seats over to them for a diagnoses I will post the results here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts