Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Hard to tell on my phone but I think I see sharp edges so yes it’s excessive wear.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They don’t feel sharp but definitely seem to be wearing more than should be . You have any recommendations on going about this I was reading on the composite gears they are suppose to last a little linger but says do not use with high volume oil pump which I have
Hard to tell on my phone but I think I see sharp edges so yes it’s excessive wear.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With a high volume pump?i heard the high volume oil pumps put some serious stress on those gears a
Shouldn't be that much wear for 250 miles, are you sure the dist.is sitting down in there or is it cocked a little? I have about 1000 miles on mine and it still looks new.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
Are you running a billet steel roller camshaft in your new motor?

I have also heard that the composite distributor gears last longer than the bronze gears.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It’s a billet steel I’m gonna call lunati Monday and see what I can do cause I seen some of the composite gears say not recommended with high volume pump
Are you running a billet steel roller camshaft in your new motor?

I have also heard that the composite distributor gears last longer than the bronze gears.

·
Registered
7 Posts
New motor has about 250 miles on it now does this geAr wear look excessive to you guys
When I was racing I used a bronze gear because it was soft and would not tear up the cam. The bronze gear was consider a throw away rather then the camshaft which cost much more. I don't know if this is true today but bronze is consider a soft metal.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
It sucks that the engine is in the car already, so I would look to a melonized gear and see if that cures your issue. As far as bronze gears and HV pumps, I ran ONLY HV pumps in my race engines and bronze gears and used the same gear for 8 seasons without seeing the slightest grooving of the gear. But if the engine was out, I would be checking gear mesh and alignment. It is possible that your wear is from the distributor being too LONG in the block and you are forcing the distributor DOWN into the cam gear. I ran my engines with 2 distributor gaskets to compensate for this. Maybe something to look at.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts