Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 14 years since the last thermostat change, the thermostat housing on my '74 Nova was leaking coolant. The mounting bolts were corroded and completely fused to the block and, inevitably, I broke off one of them. I successfully drilled out the remaining stud using a QuickCenter, but went too far with my 5/16" drill bit and accidentally poked a ~5/64" hole in the bottom of the mounting bolt cavity with the tip of the drill bit. I'm thinking I need to somehow plug this hole before reinstalling the thermostat housing, to prevent coolant from entering the bolt cavity. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
open a Photobucket account and follow the tutorial on posting images here at the site... get us an image or three and we'll see what we can do. the FB imaging doesn't work here i don't believe...

here's the tutorial...

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27716

welcome to the site ;)

might try filling the hole with an epoxy sealer, just enough to fill opening but not prevent the bolt from being tightened or removed...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your prompt reply, and the tip about photobucket.com. Here a couple of photos:

Epoxy is a possibility, but I don't want it to crack or leak over time. Others have suggested blue RTV. I also though about tapping the hole at the bottom for a 6-32 screw, or maybe larger, then installing a screw with permanent Loctite. (There's quite a bit of room between the bottom of the thermostat housing mounting bolt and the bottom of the cavity.) I want to plug the hole, but also guard against have the plug come loose years later and cause a leak or, worse, break through the bottom of the cavity and get released into my block's cooling channels.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Rtv those threads or a gasket sealer, sold at local parts store. Make sure you allow plenty of time to dry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In addition to sealing the bolt threads with RTV, do you think I should also cover the hole by filling in the bottom of the cavity with RTV?

·
Registered
20,119 Posts
You could run an allan head set screw down in it with some red lotite if you want, but like said RTV will do it just fine and also will stop the bolt from sticking next time..

PS: If the bolts seem to be really tight then take a hammer and rap the head of the bolt several times. Hit it pretty hard and lots of times this will shock the threads and release the bolt.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Put some brown locktite gasket sealer on the threads and bolt it in. Ot get a stud a little longer than you need and install it. I put the loctite on my headbolts, they got to water, and have NEVER had a leak. It's only 15lbs pressure. You'll be fine. Dave

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I was gonna say silicone some studs in the holes and if they won't come out its a good thing,use some nylock nuts on top.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I'd be tempted to pull the intake and bolt on a new one. "It's ruined," is a great excuse. I picked up my gently used performer for $50. Check your local Craigslist.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts