Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the engine wasn't running right so after checing everything else we took the valve covers off and the rocker arm bolts were torqued down as far as they could be (which isn't right) and they were as tight as tight could be and well...... we broke one. So my question is, How can we fix that. Please help with any suggestions.
Thanks so much,

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
if there's any threads left on the stud, a slide hammer may be used to remove... you'll need an "adapter" (prolly have ta make it) one end threads onto the slide hammer, the other end of "adapter" needs to have correct thread/size/pitch and thread onto stud... remove, get a replacement stud... they offer a replacement that's threaded instead of press fit, with proper tap, fill tap flutes (?) with grease to contain chips and tap hole... thread in new stud...

or ya may have ta pull cylinder head and take to a machine shop...

hope i helped. and best wishes on the repair :D

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
I know you dont want to hear this but take the head off the car and take it to a automotive machine shop. They will be able to get the broken stud out and install the new one...and while they'er at it they can inspect the other studs to make sure none of them are damaged....Just my 2 cents.:)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Good info on stud replacement, but what scares me is...
and the rocker arm bolts were torqued down as far as they could be
In other words...what happened to the rocker adjustment capability?

Are we not talking the typical stamped rocker / ball swivel arrangement here? If so, maybe a wiped cam lobe or the rocker ball wearing / breaking out of the bottom, or possible push rod probs in this scenario?

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Maxturbo said:
Good info on stud replacement, but what scares me is...
In other words...what happened to the rocker adjustment capability?

Are we not talking the typical stamped rocker / ball swivel arrangement here? If so, maybe a wiped cam lobe or the rocker ball wearing / breaking out of the bottom of the rocker scenario?
ditto....or they torqued it down so far that it destroyed the check ball in the hydraulic lifter and now the lifters are fubarded...(this to me needs some investigation.....IE possible engine teardown...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts