Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to remove my posi unit and the pinion shaft retaining screw is broken into the shaft. Someone on HotRodders.com drilled in the end of the pinion shaft and was able to use a tiny screw driver to remove the screw. I also found someone selling an extractor kit online. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sure thing...glad I could help.

Any luck getting the broken bolt out?

Dan
Nope :( I dont have any threads left so the smooth part is just spinning inside the groove. I tried using a small magnet but the smalles one I could find is too big for the hole. I tried grinding it down to fit inside but its not going to work.

The tool trucks sell a kit specifically for this problem. Let me know if you need more info. Ron

Yes, please. I will PM you. Thanks

Gary

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
In the past I have used a dremel with a small cutoff wheel to cut a V-shaped notch out the bottom end of the shaft to gain access to the broken bolt, and then just replaced the shaft. It's time consuming, but it worked for me.

Dan

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I've never done it but any opportunity to use a BFH is more than welcome. I like the idea of hitting the heck out of the shaft end until the pin sheers off. Brutality at it's finest!

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've never done it but any opportunity to use a BFH is more than welcome. I like the idea of hitting the heck out of the shaft end until the pin sheers off. Brutality at it's finest!
That sounds like it would definately break the carrier. I got it out with an aluminum oxide grinding bit and my die grinder. I used a punch to start a hole in the pin when it was showing, then drilled a hole in it. Then I used a screw driver and hammer to drive it out. My son helped too :)

·
4,541 Posts
Welcome to my world:D. the carrier will give before that hardened pin will so don't use the bfh. sometimes the compressed air will work but most times I'm getting out the torch and cutting the cross pin like others have done with the die grinder. cut the pin away until the lock bolt clears the pin. if you use a torch just go easy. The cross pin is softer than the lock bolt so it will melt easier just watch out for the carrier case since it is softer than all of it lol.

Miles

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Just go buy the correct size, left handed drill bit, and borrow a reversible right angle drill motor, it will WORK:yes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts