Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I buy my first LS (junkyard cheapie) and notice that all four exhaust bolts on the ends of the manifolds are broken-off.
Many of you probably knew this but this LS specific problem was new to me. Anyway something called "elastic deformation" makes this very common.
I found this fixture online that makes the drilling and extracting pretty fool proof.
If you encounter this problem on your LS you might want to give this a try.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks for the post, looks like a good tool. Another quick n easy trick is to put a nut over the hole and then weld the broken stud to the nut. Some take a couple tries to do, but I've have had them broken off down in the hole and still get them out this way without damaging the heads.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx Goph. I have a tig and almost did that but saw the drill fixtures and decided.......
Did you use a 306 SS rod? I hear it welds well to carbon steel.
Thx

·
Registered
423 Posts
No problem, just using my MIG welder for them. Once you get some heat/weld on the broken bolt they usually come out pretty easy, doesn't need to be a great weld... and if it breaks just get another nut and weld it again.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Goph, I think I'll give the welding a try if I run across this problem next time. Yep, the broken bolts are really stuck (I've read where GM used thread locker) and the welding heat has to help loosen things up.
Along those lines I recently broke-off a tap in an aluminum head. It was broken below the surface and there was no mechanical way to get it out. I was about ready to have it removed by EDM ($$$) and a friend told me about an acid that eats up the tap in a few hours. I bought the acid (Tap-X) and it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I’ve seen several LS truck motors with the driver side rear exhaust bolt broken. No way to get it out while in the truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts