Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I broke two teeth on my flywheel right next to each other, they are about 2/3 gone. Also screwed up my starter(my fault didn't shim). I already picked up a new starter now will I have to change the flywheel? or will it work with the current without the two teeth? I hope not it a pain in the butt! Thanks for the advice!:D

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
If you put a new started drive on it will just chew that up too if the flywheel teeth are messed up. You are going to have to pull it and replace the ring gear.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Sorry but im not too familiar with the starter lingo. What part is the ring gear? is it the flywheel?
Its the gear section thats welded to the hub. New flywheel is in order. Cant fix the teeth and yeah, it will eat the new starter pinion when it gets to that point.

Must have been some issues for it to rip teeth. I dont see a starter having the torque from a stand still to rip teeth. Sounds like the starter was spinning and the teeth were just skimming each other, keep cranking, it will grab, or chip off some teeth. OUCH! Any dentists in the house..

Seen it with folks trying to re-start an engine thats already running :) Got a neighbor that insists on doing it like every other day. Ok, he is 90 and prolly shouldnt be driving. JR

Ok, I see you have a flexplate not a flywheel. Same thing, just cheaper, remove and replace.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its the gear section thats welded to the hub. New flywheel is in order. Cant fix the teeth and yeah, it will eat the new starter pinion when it gets to that point.

Must have been some issues for it to rip teeth. I dont see a starter having the torque from a stand still to rip teeth. Sounds like the starter was spinning and the teeth were just skimming each other, keep cranking, it will grab, or chip off some teeth. OUCH! Any dentists in the house..

Seen it with folks trying to re-start an engine thats already running :) Got a neighbor that insists on doing it like every other day. Ok, he is 90 and prolly shouldnt be driving. JR

Ok, I see you have a flexplate not a flywheel. Same thing, just cheaper, remove and replace.
Awesome thanks for the advice! I guess that's what I will be doing on my Sunday afternoon:rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts