Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been chasing a problem with my sbc and found a broken valve spring. Maybe 20k on the motor and was wondering if just replacing the one spring is ok? Its a mildesh cam flat tappet 480 lift. Camel hump heads 2.02 and 1.6 valves. Engine runs fine. Idles good, but popping out exhaust on hard acceleration. What would you do?

Regards,

Dennis

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
Been chasing a problem with my sbc and found a broken valve spring. Maybe 20k on the motor and was wondering if just replacing the one spring is ok? Its a mildesh cam flat tappet 480 lift. Camel hump heads 2.02 and 1.6 valves. Engine runs fine. Idles good, but popping out exhaust on hard acceleration. What would you do?

Regards,

Dennis
If you have assessed the spring pocket, valve, retainer and locks, seal and everything else (including the lobe on the cam) and have determined the only issue is a broken spring, as long as you can match the spring exactly to the other exhaust springs for open/closed seat pressures, installed height and all other considerations, just replace it. I would probably take off an exhaust spring from the adjacent bank head in the same location (if #3, take off exh. spring #4) and measure the open/closed spring pressures and seat heights to make sure you're in the hunt on the replacement spring then go for it!!

Should be fine! People break springs all the time and replace them without issue. Just make sure there are no parts in the oil pan or filter and try and account for all spring parts if possible. Any missing pieces will destroy the engine completely.

Best of luck,

~Andy

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
@dacn65 check out this link for how to get the valve and springs compressed without removing the heads...:

We've been rambling on this one for a minute :p

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Take an intake spring and put it in the exhaust location. Then put the new spring in the intake spot. Allows a broken in spring to work into the hotter valve location. But if it’s lasted 20k miles, it’s probably not an assembly issue. But on the flip side, 20k miles is early for spring issues so hopefully the others don’t start going. Only one way to find out.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Don't know if this has been mentioned but Philip taught me that you can change valve springs without pulling heads by stuffing clothesline rope in the sparkplug hole to keep the valve from sliding into the cylinder while you change the spring.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I'm going to use air to hold valves. Got a neighbor who races blown alcohol hydro drag boat that's going to help me out with the spring compressor. Running on all 8 soon.(y)

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
Got a new valve spring in and car runs great again. Got the excact same one, or I should say set of springs from comp cams. If another one breaks I'll probably replace them all. One again thank you guys for the tips.

:)
Awesome news!! Enjoy the weekend!!! (and do a few burnouts too) :p

~Andy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts