Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son Zachary has a '77 Nova and it has the factory tilt wheel. The previous owner was a big guy and used the wheel to hoist himself into position to drive.

I had my mechanic tighten up the mechanism because it was loose when I bought the car (1997). It has recently become loose again.

My mechanic says it is broken inside and can't be repaired. Of course finding another '75 up X body tilt wheel is like looking for a needle in a haystack. My son is 6'10" and would like to keep the tilt because it's easier for him to get his legs in and out.

Do any of you happen to know if another tilt wheel out of the same generation
'75 up GM vehicle (any make/model) can be used to rebuild this tilt column? My mechanic seems to think the parts that make the mechanism work are the same regardless of make/model, and can be swapped over to this column.

Thanks for any experience you can share with us!

Mike and Zachary Hayes

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
I would try to find a 75 - 79 Nova, Pontiac Phoenix 77 - 79, Pontiac Ventura 71 – 77, Oldsmobile Omega 73 – 79..... but I have been known to be wrong...

That would be my safe bet.....:yes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your quick replies.

I did see that column, but I am concerned that it is not original to a Nova. I'm not aware of Novas with the dimmer on the column, but I've not been around a '78 or '79 and maybe they did. I know the Malibu's, Impala's of those years were made that way.

I asked the seller just to be sure, if it's a column out of a newer Nova I'm good with that!

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What part is broken? I have never worked on one that could not be repaired. Some of the parts will interchange from other years and models.
Hi Phillip,

I've never been into a tilt column before because of the special tool you need to have to work on the mechanism, as I understand, so I have always taken them in when they become wiggly. I rarely take a car into the shop unless it's something specialized like this.

So, I have no idea what the actual problem is, other than the fact that if he was able to fix it I know he would because he's tightened up other tilt wheels in my Oldsmobiles and they've been OK afterward.

He said there are a couple of pieces of pot metal in there that are broken/stripped out and the screws won't hold tight anymore, that's all I know.

So hopefully the one for sale here will work, or I'll go out to u pull it and nab a tilt column out of a similar vintage GM.

We grabbed some parts out of a '77 Ventura about a year ago, primarily everything to convert to power steering and the HD radiator support since we're going to do a 250 to 396 swap soon. I should have grabbed the tilt column out of that car, but this one was fine at the time. You know how that goes!

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
670 Posts
You may only need a new bolting plate for the lower housing. Check out this guide and go to page 8.

http://www.diyfiero.com/dropspot/Jazzman_Steering_Rack_Rebuild.pdf

The basic tilt mechanism differs little from model to model. That ring can be taken from most any GM tilt columns found in the junkyard.

I recently used this guide and these to tighten up the screws on my own column.

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=27192

http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html

http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/steering.html

The only special tools you really need are the wheel puller, locking plate remover, and pivot pin remover. They can be had at any Autozone/Pepboys. The parts to be mindful of are wires and the ball bearings falling out. Have a bucket or tray under the column for this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Brandywine Auto Parts in Virginia had a 78 Skylark with a tilt wheel about 3 months ago, they are located in Brandywine, VA.

I took the seats, console and many other parts from the vehicle and remember raising the wheel for access. You can give them a call and hopefully the car is still there in the yard, and they do ship.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Mike some parts for the columns are still available new from GM parts. Also A body and some B body columns will interchange. The floor plates are about all that changed from one body style to the other. You will need a one without the dimmer if going for an original look. I put a tilt/telescopic from an 82 Cadillac Eldorado in my 77, just had to change the floor plate and the bolt on under dash mount.

The Buick one in the classifieds will have the parts you need if you can not find another one.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Mike some parts for the columns are still available new from GM parts. Also A body and some B body columns will interchange. The floor plates are about all that changed from one body style to the other. You will need a one without the dimmer if going for an original look. I put a tilt/telescopic from an 82 Cadillac Eldorado in my 77, just had to change the floor plate and the bolt on under dash mount.

The Buick one in the classifieds will have the parts you need if you can not find another one.
This man a wealth of knowledge!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I put a tilt/telescopic from an 82 Cadillac Eldorado in my 77, just had to change the floor plate and the bolt on under dash mount.

Do you have any pictures of that steering column or mods done to make it fit. I am looking to do something different like that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Phillip, This is exactly what I was wanting to know. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience. There is a '78 Seville at U Pull It and I was wondering if that would work, many of those had tilt/telescope I know. I know the Seville's started out as pseudo-Novas but are not X-bodies.

My mechanic told me today that in the area where the 4 screws the flat plate bolts into, 2 of the screw holes are split out badly and there is not a way to rethread, weld, etc., to repair it. He too said he's repaired many of these and this is 1 of 2 he's not been able to salvage.

I think we're going to buy the one in the classifieds and either take the 2 to make 1 good column shift, or put the classified column in and put in a floor shift. I think that is what my son wants to do anyhow.

Great information and help, many thanks again!

Mike and Zachary

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Mike the 78 Seville column should be a bolt in, it is basically a Nova with a few inches added to the back seat area. At most the differences will be like in the photos below.

Do you have any pictures of that steering column or mods done to make it fit. I am looking to do something different like that.
The floor plate was changed and the bolt on mount was changed. The one on top with the larger spread was from the Cadillac. Since my car is a manual transmission the stub for the shifter was removed. The column I used was a double D shaft not splined so the intermediate shaft also had to be replaced. It was also damaged from someone trying to steal the car. I completely rebuilt it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Yes it was except for the addition of the dimmer switch. If getting one take as much of the harness as possible to splice in the wires from the floor switch. They should be the same colors making it easy to wire in. If the car has side markers there will be an extra plug on the turn signal switch harness too.

When switching from a non tilt to a tilt the same wire plugs are used for the ignition switch, the plugs needs to be rotated 180° to insert them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts