Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son was driving his 71 nova today and heard a loud pop. I showed up and the tire with axle attached was about 7 inches outside the quarter. Tore it down and part of the ring gear was laying in the bottom of the differential.

I called a local classic shop and the owner said he had a Camaro axle that would be a direct bolt on application. He also said it would be an upgrade to the Nova. I have a 10 bolt axle in right now and I think it is 373 gears, not sure. He wants 350 for the camaro axle. Is he correct on the direct bolt up? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
What year Camaro? The ring gear doesn't hold in the axle in, the c-clips do and the are held in place by the spider gears and cross shaft. Can you post a picture of the broken parts?

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
What year Camaro? The ring gear doesn't hold in the axle in, the c-clips do and the are held in place by the spider gears and cross shaft. Can you post a picture of the broken parts?
:yes:
thats what i was thinkin also
now a broken case mabe

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just went out and took a better look and its not the ring gear it is a much smaller gear, the center of the busted gear cant be over an inch. Wont be able to take pics tonight. Can I replace just the spider gear? The guy that has the camaro axle didnt tell me the year.

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
just went out and took a better look and its not the ring gear it is a much smaller gear, the center of the busted gear cant be over an inch. Wont be able to take pics tonight. Can I replace just the spider gear? The guy that has the camaro axle didnt tell me the year.
:yes::yes:

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
$350 is a little high for an 8.2" rear end unless that includes installation.
The side gear, axle and C clip can be replaced but there is going to be other damage too.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Or put a Ford 9" in it and call it a good day! ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ford 9"?? What types of axles will interchange? What exactly do I tell the salvage yard I'm looking for? I don't have time to modify anything, just looking for a replacement I can bolt on.
Thanks for all the replies!!

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Ford 9"?? What types of axles will interchange? What exactly do I tell the salvage yard I'm looking for? I don't have time to modify anything, just looking for a replacement I can bolt on.
Thanks for all the replies!!
Axle if needed, possible axle gear(the small one) and check the two spider gears and the two spider gear washers.

You need to check your parts out first, clean them up, and see what is needed.

·
4,534 Posts
It would be a first gen camaro rear that will bolt right in but it will be an 8.2 as well no better or worse than the original. $350 seems a little high for that but some guys think that because it is out of a Camaro it's worth twice as much. Unless it's a desired ratio or has a posi then maybe worth it but for a stock open in used condition it seems high. You should be able to inspect & replace the damaged parts but if it needs too much a replacment diff may be a cheaper route.

Miles

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
This is really a pretty easy fix.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Yukon-standard-spider-spline-axles/dp/B0078U9SQW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1357252616&sr=8-5&keywords=8.2+spider+gears[/ame]

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Thanks everyone! Found a 77 Nova 10 bolt for $200. Direct bolt on for my 71?
The '77 rear is wider than your existing rear.
Actually, the Nova rearends stayed the same width all the way from 1968 to 1979.

There were two different size 10 bolt rears used in 76-79 Novas though. If it's the 8.5" one it should bolt right into your 71 and be a bit of an upgrade over the original 8.2". But if it's the weaker 7.5" rear don't even bother with that.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The link was very helpful!! I appreciate all the responses and so does my son, its killing him to not have what he's dubbed "the panty dropper"! lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts