Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When assembling the lastest engine, my dad somehow broke the "corner edge" off one of the rings. It is the "bottom ring" (not the oil ring and not the top compression ring). A new set is $209, is there ANY way to find a ring that will work without buying an entire new set for 1 bottom ring?

Please advise... PS it is a 350 bored .040 over... our machine guy says they are ".043 rings"

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Lee

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Those skinny suckers break easy til you get use to them. I broke one while file fitting a set for my buddy a couple yrs ago. He called the manufacturer and got one mailed from them. Maybe try that. You could try calling the store you got them from also, they may be able to help you. RM

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Speed Pro used ta sell single rings...

i used ta sell 'em :D

check with yer local parts house... get someone who knows what they're doing ta look up the number for ya... prolly be about 10-12 bucks...

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Yes, you can buy single rings. What brand and PN was your set? (it should be on the box)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys... Now lets just hope Pop can remember where the box is. (I'm out of town working. He was assembling the shortblock as a surprise, had to call me to inform of the broken ring.) I'll be phoning him shortly to see if he knows the manufaturer, and PN... let's all cross our fingers.

Thanks again, (as always)
Lee (tired of hearing about rings) constantly from the lady friend -- and now from DAD!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Ring Gaps

Dragster66SS

Rings for engines have gaps FOR heat expansion:D

Rings for ladies have no gaps and CAUSE heat expansion:eek:

Besides a :chev: is much easier to reason with:shh:

RED67

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
" (tired of hearing about rings) constantly from the lady friend " ................I feel your pain..:beer:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: We've got a single ring in the mail and on the way, as i'm typing :D

..... now if only all Ring type issues were so easily and smoothly resolved.

LMAO @ gaps and heat expansion. nice one. -- and yes the ole :chev: nova can get a chip on her shoulder too, but she's much easier to get back in line. LOL

Lee (so isnt just me that has that RINGing in my ear) WHAT, HUH? Cheers. :beer:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PS... Thanks for all the advice, on both accounts ;)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
RINGing in my ears,,,,,,

As Gates said "I feel you on that":rolleyes:

Some times you just have to say,,,"move on to another subject,,too much information".:p Guess my patience runs thin with old age:D

The RED67 has a few bugs sometimes,,,just to get my attention,,,but she never bugs me or lies to me:shh:

RED67:chev:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts