Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, how do you guys with drag race only cars break in new motors. My motor is finely done and I want to go racing soon with it but the repair manual says 500 miles of easy driving.......well I don't drive my car on the street so what do I do?

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I build my motors to race. When I get it assembled, I install it, set the timing and go race it. If I want to put it on the dyno the same thing happens. So after it warms up it gets full load one way or the other. Whats to break in? If I build a flat tappet engine with a new cam, I break the cam in by running it for about 45 minutes at about 3,000 rpms. Depending on the cam and spring pressure I may use short ratio rockers or leave the inner springs out. Roller motors get run about 30 minutes to get the oil warmed up good and run the rings in a little but that's all then time to race it or dyno it. The recommendation of 500 miles at varied speeds, don't pull anything the first 3,000 miles and stuff was to help the rings seat in a factory motor. RM

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Consider it broken in as soon as you leave the water box. A few burnouts and that 500 miles will be there before you know it. BREAKIN IN? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BREAKIN IN. Dave

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm using the same cam from the old motor (marked all the lifters so they went back to the same cam lobe). So since no cam to break in, your all saying just start racing like I never stopped,...... I can do that. This is my first rebuild, I hope it stays together.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yes the cam is already broken in, so race it hard. Generally speaking it takes about 21 passes to seat the rings.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
TO THE END OF THE DRIVEWAY
I bought a new Civic Si a couple weeks ago; the dealer is about 100 yards from the freeway. After the salesman told me to take it easy for 500 miles, I hopped on the freeway and spun her up to 7800 in the first 4 gears(6spd). The next morning I took it to the track and made a couple passes(9.66/74)
It's loosened up now(1600mi.) and it seems to be a bit faster and revs over 8000 in a heartbeat. Break-in Shmake-in!!

·
Premium Member
11,287 Posts
When we built the 355, we had it all in and ready to fire it for the first time. We switched carbs from Edelbrock to Holley, and the accelerator linkage mount wasn't "exactly" the same. Hit the key and it rolled over a few times and fired and went to 6500rpm's before we could get to the key.:eek: The mount had shifted. We made a new mount and it was fine. I kinda figured it was broke in at that time.:D Its not as fast as the 358, but turns more heads going down the street.:)

Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts