Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just looking around on Craigslist and found this guy has a brand new ZZ4 short block that is still new in plastic. I just put a new goodwrench short block and trickflow topend in my car but I figure with this price I can't go wrong. The guy did some work for someone about a year and a half back. The person that he did work for couldn't come up with the funds so he gave him the ZZ4 as payment. I had the guy send me pictures and it looks clean. I'm going to take my cousin's truck up there tomorrow and take a look at it. I know I just put a new engine in my car, but having a $900 ZZ4 shortblock wrapped up as an extra would not be a bad idea . Guy said he just picked up a big block and has to many blocks and crate engines sitting around. He will it go for $900.00. What do you guys think? Should I pick it up for a spare if it looks as good in person as it did in the photos?

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Sure couldn't duplicate it for that.
Nice to have a spare!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$900? :wow:

BUY IT NOW! :cool:
That's what I was thinking. It was listed for $1,800 so I called out of interest and he said that he would let it go for $1,200. We talked about it some more and he sent me the pictures. Everything looked good so I called him back and we were talking a little more. I told him where I was located which is only about 45 minutes from where he is, and said that if he will do $900 I'll be there Saturday morning to pick it up. He said he just needs to move it so I may get it if everything looks good to me. I'm taking my cousin's truck up there tomorrow when I look at it just to make sure it's what I want and everything is perfect on it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
For $900 I wouldn't even hesitate. It'd cost you well over $500 to convert the block you have now over to a roller cam. Throw a slightly bigger cam in that ZZ4 before you swap shortblocks and you'll have one nice motor!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got back home from going to take a look at the engine. Well, it was a major dissapointment, he sent me pictures of a different motor I believe. The block had surface rust in the cylinders and on the decks where the cylinder heads would be. Parts of the crank and rods also were starting to get surface rust. I asked the guy what the hell he was trying to pull and he said that he sent me pictures. I told him, "Yes you did, but the pictures of the motor that you sent me were not in this condition and there were markings on the block that you sent me pictures of." He then stated, well I cleaned the markings off for you, and I could sand the rust off with sand paper :mad:. Just ridiculous that someone would do something like this. Before we even went to look at the "ZZ4" I went and looked at his other motors with him. I didn't see the motor that he sent me pictures of anywhere, but I'm stumped because I asked for certain pictures and he was able to provide them. Oh well, I can just clean up my other block later and make a stroker :D.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man thats ****ty! Sorry to hear he did you that way. Good thing it wasn't an internet purchase where you didn't get to go see it first.
Yeah, I'm happy I didn't put anything down like he originally wanted. Oh well, I'm not sweating it anymore. I do have my original 350 that came out of the car that I am going to rebuild later with a forged Eagle rotating assembly.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Yeah, if it was bagged and not coated its like a hot house in there. Surface rust to where it was into the metal or dust rust?? Ive seen the dusty light orange color stuff comes off easily from the cylinders with a light ball honing. But if there was any pitting then no good. What a shame, two hours driving and some phone calls wasted.. JR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts