Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I put an all new 12 bolt and I've noticed that it whines whenever I let off the throttle. It has at maximum 25 miles on it. Is this normal during the break in procedure or is this something to be concerned about?

·
Registered
12 Posts
This past weekend I put an all new 12 bolt and I've noticed that it whines whenever I let off the throttle. It has at maximum 25 miles on it. Is this normal during the break in procedure or is this something to be concerned about?
I just installed a new 12 bolt with 9" ends a month or so ago. No whining from mine. break in instructions were pretty specific

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the gears whine they may not be set up correctly, the pinion depth and backlash may not be correct, the gears should be quiet.I heard richmond gears may howl beacuse how they are cut, I have 4:11 richmond gears but mine are quiet though.
Mine are Richmond 3.73s so maybe that's it. I didn't set up the gears, someone built the whole rear end for me so they might have messed it up. It would surprise me though, the guy has a good reputation.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Could be the brand of gears. I've setup some cheap gears that the customer supplied that were noisy. Had a great pattern, correct backlash and pinion depth but were still noisy. I've had richmonds even make some noise...

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Mine are Richmond 3.73s so maybe that's it. I didn't set up the gears, someone built the whole rear end for me so they might have messed it up. It would surprise me though, the guy has a good reputation.
Give the guy at the gear shop a chance to check it out and make adjustments if necessary. He wants good recommendations from his customers.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
The Richmonds in my 9 inch whine, but I am sure they were set up correctly. So I just live with the noise.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Whining on coast is a sign of improperly setup gears. A guy can set them up right to spec (pinion depth and backlash) check the pattern and have to play with it from there. Who built it?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Once a set of gears are noisy I've never had any luck re-setting them up and getting the noise to go away...

·
Registered
447 Posts
The guy I use for gear set-ups claims you cant always go by the book for quite running.
The Richmonds get a bad rap for being noisy but I've never had one make noise if set up correctly, not by the book.
If yours is noisy it needs to be reset.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Once a set of gears are noisy I've never had any luck re-setting them up and getting the noise to go away...
I would agree if they had more miles on them but considering they've only got a max of 25 miles on them it shouldn't be enough to set a permanent wear pattern yet. JMHO

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The guy I use for gear set-ups claims you cant always go by the book for quite running.
The Richmonds get a bad rap for being noisy but I've never had one make noise if set up correctly, not by the book.
If yours is noisy it needs to be reset.
Called the guy that set them up today and he said I need to break it in for 500-1000 miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts