Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have drum brakes on all 4 corners, and I can get the front adjusted OK, but the back ones are tough. I have a full spool and you can't spin the wheel/s freely enough to check the adjustment for the correct resistance. Is there another way of doing this? Possibly a trick someone has stumbled apon??????

Thanks

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
you have balls going fast with drum brakes i would try bleeding them again starting from the right rear then to the left rear then to the right front the to the left front if that doesnt work your master cylinder may be bad . what do the shoes look like in the back are they new you may need to see if the wheel cylinders are working have someone pump the brakes to see if the shoes move out if they dont they may be bad if they do work you can always adjust the adjuster out so there is less clearance between the drum and shoes

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have bled them to death with no change. The shoes are in good shape. I put a new master cylinder on a couple years ago but that doesn't mean that it's not the problem. I think maybe a full brake overhall is in order.

Thanks chevyIIheavy for your help.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
the way I always did drums.. when the drums were fresh turned.... was to set the shoes to where the drums were a bit of a snug fit... getting them on... aka drag.... but if your 1/4 mile-ing it you dont want drag..

for me if the drums were round.. no high spots.. I would remove the drums. adjust the shoes for contact on both sides.... then back off the shoes equal amounts..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts