Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting ready to have my 60 built. I have been told that the mid 90's Explorer discs are almost a bolt on. If anyone has done this conversion please help me out with some details on what is needed, how difficult, what year Explorer, how to i.d. the correct brakes and any other bits of info that might help me out.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I've talked to Currie about the Dana60 with explorer disc package and what you need to do is use the Ford Torino style bearing ends on your housing and have your axle supplier make the axles with a 2.5" brake space for the explorer discs. The brake space is measured from the bearing flange outer face on the housing to the outer face of the axle flange where the rotor slides on. The axles also need to have the wheel register the right size for the explorer disc brake rotor. So, use the ford bearing ends on that Dana60 housing and get with your axle supplier to get the right brake space and axle dimensions for the brake system. Also use good machined aftermarket housing ends, the last ford 9" we built I reused the stock housing ends after having them cleaned up on a lathe ($40) and these stock ford pieces are junk compared to what the aftermarket sells.

What did you pull your housing out of? Dodge? What axle spine and carrier do you plan to use? Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts