Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to upgrade my brakes on my '66 with either 4 piston Wilwood or Baer caliper and master Cylinder. I currently have a 11" CPP disc conversation but not happy with the stopping power of a single piston caliper. The master cylinder is a stock GM dual reservoir.

In addition, is anyone using adjustable coil-over QA-1 rear-shocks and if so let me know any pros/cons and a part number. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
The Wilwood brakes are OK. I have Wilwoods on the rear of my big tire car and I also have them all around my stock suspension car. These are not street cars but I have had no real problems with them. Not sure why you are unhappy with the present brakes but have you considered the M/C bore size or the push rod position you are using? Both are important to good brakes. RM

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Did the CPP kit use metric calipers or the "larger" single piston calipers from the early 70's? The older calipers although heavier have a larger piston bore and more clamping force and may require a larger m/c as well. The early A body (chevelle) rotors are truly 11" while some of the later ones are actually 10.5".
I think I remember one our members say that he switched to wilwood for the weight savings but found that the large single piston setup actually worked better.
Have you considered putting discs on the rear. Are you running skinnies upfront; if so you might want to concentrate more braking power to the rear.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
I'm running adjustable QA1's with a Chassisworks rear clip & their Pro Street ladder bar setup. I used 130# springs...also from QA1. The main thing is to get the right length...I believe CW called for a 14" length at ride height but your application may dictate something else.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mike, I have followed your build and I enjoy seeing the engineering and fabrication work put into your car. I thoroughly appreciate your well thought-out response to the many inquiries. And thank you for your response to my guest for the "perfect" (in my mind) handling Nova. I like the option of the adjustable shock and QA-1's seem to fit the bill. I have taken some preliminary measurements from mounting point to mounting point and have the overall weight of approximately 3100 with full tank and me in it. You mentioned the springs for your car as #130, what weight are these for? Again thank you for your valuable input.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
shawn63 said:
Did the CPP kit use metric calipers or the "larger" single piston calipers from the early 70's? The older calipers although heavier have a larger piston bore and more clamping force and may require a larger m/c as well. The early A body (chevelle) rotors are truly 11" while some of the later ones are actually 10.5".
I think I remember one our members say that he switched to wilwood for the weight savings but found that the large single piston setup actually worked better.
Have you considered putting discs on the rear. Are you running skinnies upfront; if so you might want to concentrate more braking power to the rear.
I hadn't thought about the rear brakes and thank you for your input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts