Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, The car stops but not go at all.There is no leaks at all. It has all new lines and new master. Also the the rear drums are all new. when i push the brake petal it is hard and not very much stopping power and it is power brake with disc on front and drum on rear. Just woundering if it is maybe the booster?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
make sure the check valve is good (it's a one way valve, similar to the way a PCV works)

sounds like the check valve or the booster is bad...

·
Registered
212 Posts
In the old days if we wanted to find out if the vacuum booster was working, we would put our foot on the brake pedal and push with the motor off. While holding down on the brake pedal, start the motor. The brake pedal should go down a bit as soon as it sees vacuum. If it does not move when the motor starts, you're not getting vacuum to the booster. This would be regardless of the check valve working or not.

Have you done any brake work or engine work lately? If so, did the problem start afterwards? Or have your brakes been working fine and all of a sudden this problem started?

If nothing has changed, it really sounds like a vacuum / booster issue. Check out the vacuum line running to the rear of the intake manifold to see if you have a collapsed hose or a big vacuum leak. Sometimes on the old hoses they will get soft and collapse and shut off the vacuum source.

Good luck and let us know what you found to be the issue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, The car stops but not go at all.There is no leaks at all. It has all new lines and new master. Also the the rear drums are all new. when i push the brake petal it is hard and not very much stopping power and it is power brake with disc on front and drum on rear. Just woundering if it is maybe the booster?
Are you saying that when you hit the brakes, it stops, but you can't go? I had a Corvette years ago that did that. In my master cylinder, there was a small port, I think it was an equalizing port, about the size of a needle. It had dirt in it. I used a needle to clear it. Never had the issue again. Good luck.

·
4,535 Posts
That or the pedal push rod is not adjusted correctly or if power brakes the booster shaft may be too long. What happens is it does not release the pressure when you let off the pedal.

Miles

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Are you saying that when you hit the brakes, it stops, but you can't go? I had a Corvette years ago that did that. In my master cylinder, there was a small port, I think it was an equalizing port, about the size of a needle. It had dirt in it. I used a needle to clear it. Never had the issue again. Good luck.
I think he meant car stops, but not good at all.

Make sure you are getting vacuum and the fittings aren't plugged up.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This started today! The brakes worked fine last time i took it out. Yes it stops but not like it should.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts