Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
******Solution found see final post*****

Last night I reached up behind my dash to take out a few of the instrument panel/dash bulbs. I only took one out at a time, and put it back before removing the next.

Now, suddenly, when I push the brakes, my turn signals light up, and when I use my turn signals nothing happens!:confused: Also the brake idiot light stays lit at all times?:eek:

Everything worked fine up until now. What could I have bumped or jiggled to cause this?? I didn't touch any wires on purpose, just popped those bulbs out and put em back. But I was crammed under the dash with my head and I could have bumped something? (my head is big):eek:

Please help! Anybody had this before? Ideas where the likely culprit is?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
NovaNate said:
Last night I reached up behind my dash to take out a few of the instrument panel/dash bulbs. I only took one out at a time, and put it back before removing the next.

Now, suddenly, when I push the brakes, my turn signals light up, and when I use my turn signals nothing happens!:confused: Also the brake idiot light stays lit at all times?:eek:

Everything worked fine up until now. What could I have bumped or jiggled to cause this?? I didn't touch any wires on purpose, just popped those bulbs out and put em back. But I was crammed under the dash with my head and I could have bumped something? (my head is big):eek:

Please help! Anybody had this before? Ideas where the likely culprit is?

Thanks
I am assuming all of this worked prior to you attempting to change the bulbs. Be honest....did you change the lights all at once?:eek: We won't be upset if you did.
:D just....something isn't adding up.
Unless there were a lot of spliced/exposed wires that could have crossed when you had you big head and hands under there.:D

Sounds to me like you re-arranged the wires when plugging them back up. :D :D

• The idiot light is staying lit because the regular instrument cluster light is plugged up to it. Those lights are designated for certain plugs in you insturment panel. Otherwise, idiot lights stay lit or your dash lights get brighter when the motor has no oil pressure or when overheating. Catch my drift?
  • Now for you turn signals lighting up when you hit your brakes...hummm...:rolleyes: This is strange....This can only occur if you have the brakes circuit running to the wires/lights that plug into the turn signal plugs. I'd also be willing to bet you have the turn signal lights plugged into the general instrument panel cluster light socket.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Chevelle (67) turn signals used to go out when I hit the brakes. The brake lights ran through the turn signal switch and there was a bent tab behind the wheel. I would assume the set-up is the same on the Novas. By the way it was a plastic tab and I couldn't straighten it, I had to get a new cancel cam harness.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Grounds ?????

Nate,I just went thru a simular problem with my '67.

First,what year model is your Nova?

My 67's intermitent problem came from the instrument cluster not having a good ground to the dash,,,thru the little mounting screws.So hitting a bump or touching the instrument panel would cause,,or fix the problem:confused:
Cleanning the paint where the screws mount will fix this.

Also the "El-Cheapie" voltage regular would "come & go":mad:
A stop at the local NAPA store cured that part of the problem:D

Even the grounds under the hood will cause problems with the dash lights:eek:

Good luck,
RED67:chev:

ps,,,it took me a week under the dash to heal mine:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds to me like you re-arranged the wires when plugging them back up. :D :D

I have a 71...

No..I"m being dead serious!! I only did one bulb at a time..and honestly didn't undo or touch any wires.....and regardless it is hard to believe that hooking the wrong bulb into the wrong slot would cause this becuase the instrument panel is a printed circuit board, and the lights are stand alone sockets that you twist into the circuit board and they connect up to the proper connections, the lights are not individually wired. So even if I had replaced them improperly (which I didn't !! I swaer!!) it shouldn't change what lights up when.

I was wondering what if I didn't snap one of the bulbs all the way back into place..would that missing closed circuit cause this kind of mayhem?? Unreal! How fragile!

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I'm with RED67 on this one. Either a ground on the instrument cluster is loose or perhaps while laying on the floor reaching up into the instrument cluster you knocked the fuse panel which may have a ground that is now loose.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
I ran across a similiar problem about 20 years ago with my 70 Mailbu. Drove me nuts for hours. In my case (maybe not yours) the flasher had been removed from the fuse panel, which by itself causes no real problems, the 4 ways just don't work. Now depress the 4 way button on the column and a scenerio just like yours rears its ugly head :D The turn signals are cancelled out and pressing the brake causes the ts indicators to back feed from the rear bulbs thru the 4 way circuit in the ts switch.
My guess is the brake light is staying on because the wire on the park pedal assembly is grounded from you stuffing yourself under the dash.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Ya know, you wonder how these things "just crop up":confused:

Tonight I cut open the old "El-Cheapie" voltage regulator,,just for grins,,well it's rusted up inside and has had water puddled up:( .It had a seal but was held togather with 2 aluminum rivets:eek: looked new on the outside.
The NAPA, "Echlin" brand is bolted.

Who would think about water in the VR ?:rolleyes:

We never stop learning.:D

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Philip said:
I ran across a similiar problem about 20 years ago with my 70 Mailbu. Drove me nuts for hours. In my case (maybe not yours) the flasher had been removed from the fuse panel, which by itself causes no real problems, the 4 ways just don't work. Now depress the 4 way button on the column and a scenerio just like yours rears its ugly head :D The turn signals are cancelled out and pressing the brake causes the ts indicators to back feed from the rear bulbs thru the 4 way circuit in the ts switch.
My guess is the brake light is staying on because the wire on the park pedal assembly is grounded from you stuffing yourself under the dash.
Hope this helps.

Philip, YOU ARE THE WINNER!!!!

I just got in from the garage, where I read the wiring diagrams and seeing Hazard light in the circuit caught my eye, and I REMEBERED, I WAS ALSO SCREWING WITH THE HAZARD SWITCH!! I was trying to get the hazards to work. I ran over to my car, turned her on, and pressed in the hazard button and sure enough!! ALL GONE!! I think my hazard relay was broken, but either way, when I hit my brakes it energized the hazard circuit through the brake lights just like Philip says.

Oh and the brake idiot light....my parking brake was on :eek: . It doesn't work and I had cut the cable...but somehow yesterday I bumbed the parking brake enough to get that switch to come to life. So I just had to use a zip tie to keep the parking brake plunger from contacting...all better!!

I'm sleeping tonight a happy man!! Good night all and thanks for the ideas!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Send $$$

Let's see,, on other "support forms" there's a line at the end that reads:

"If I have helped send donation to,,,(in this case) [email protected]"

Glad your problem is solved:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts