Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a automatic brake pedal assembly in my car which has two studs on it. I have been looking at power boosters and noticed that they have three studs on them. Do I need to find another brake pedal bracket that does not have the studs so the ones from the booster will go through it? Or is there a bracket that mounts to the fire wall to the pedal bracket studs which then the booster mounts to the bracket?

·
Registered
491 Posts
If it is a 66 bracket, you should be able to knock the studs out.
I have learned from an article in NNN that the 67 bracket has the stud
spot welded in place. You have to unweld those.
That is what I am having to do, but waiting until I do one of
these rack and pinion upgrades mentioned here..

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had a bracket on mine, after knocking one stud out, I figured out the bracket was needed.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Brakes

Knock out the studs and look at your firewall and you will see a dimple where the third hole needs to be drilled. You also should install a brace from the mounting bolt to your brake pedal support to keep the firewall from flexing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a bracket on mine, after knocking one stud out, I figured out the bracket was needed.
Are you talking about the bracket that is on the outside of the firewall that the booster mounts to? I have seen these on other vehicles but don't know if they're supposed to be on the chevy II's?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I don't have any pictures, but the brace/bracket goes between the firewall on the lower stud and the pedal support on the inside of the car. I'll bet very few people actually know about this brace. I believe the bracket comes in a factory accessory brake booster kit which has instructions and illustrations. You can also see it in an assembly manual.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Are you talking about the bracket that is on the outside of the firewall that the booster mounts to? I have seen these on other vehicles but don't know if they're supposed to be on the chevy II's?
I don't think you can mount the booster any other way on the car, just look at the rod that comes with it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anybody know if a '63 bracket will bolt up to a 66? I imagine it would.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
I don't have any pictures, but the brace/bracket goes between the firewall on the lower stud and the pedal support on the inside of the car. I'll bet very few people actually know about this brace. I believe the bracket comes in a factory accessory brake booster kit which has instructions and illustrations. You can also see it in an assembly manual.
66 Booster GM kit w/brace. Not my kit...just pictures.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very nice Dave! Pics always help. What do they say pictures are worth 1000 words. What is the bracket in the lower pic below the brake pedal?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right on OB_67_Nova!!! I will use those numbers and fab one up myself I think. I can see what the brace is and what it needs to do on the chevyIIonly site.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Picked up a piece of 1/8 " thick 3/4 " wide plain flat stock from Homer Depot today. Put it in the vise and pounded out the perfect piece. $4.25 for a 36 " piece and about 15 minutes in the vise and on the drill press. Also found the stop light switch at NAPA.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts