Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Het Bob, Frank, Pat & anyone else that knows.......... I have had and off & on again problem with my rear pass. brake lite. Works sometimes & not others?? Everyone said a ground problem... or a bulb problem?? Well here's the story: I replaced the entire rear light harness, new bulbs, made sure it was grounded, etc...etc !! While checking it out in the garage today......... it's the turn signal switch!! If you have key off & hit the brake pedal, they work! If your turn signal happens to be on (left or right) the brake lite won't work!! This was all very confusing because all lights would work... running, & turn signal, but sometimes not the brake?? I wiggled the turn signal switch today and ..................................voila... therein lies the problem!! I feel so very happy, as I'm not normally too good with auto electrics ( my heart's got a short as well, but that's another story!!!! )
Now for the mags!!!!

Bogie........ who's very happy..:D :D :D :D

N

·
0 Posts
I think we better start calling you sparky , or smokey , There is probably a wire cut or loose in the switch , or also where it runs up to the colum . You can buy a repo switch , but have to pull the colum out to change it . Frank

·
Super Moderator
9,796 Posts
The problem could also be a dirty contact inside the switch. I had trouble with my 64, and eventually traced it to that switch. Keep in mind that the turn signal switch affects the brake (bright) lights on both sides...separately. There's a lot going on in there, and there are a bunch of contacts that all need to be clean, aligned, and gapped properly for it all to work.

When you have the turn signal off, the brake switch is connected to both brake lights...through the TS switch. When you have the RH turn on, the RH brakelight is disconnected from the brake switch, and instead connected to the RH front marker, and the blinker relay. Same stuff...yet completely independent...for the LH side. If I remember right, there are at least 6 pairs of contacts in the switch.

There are 'rub blocks' inside the switch that move the contacts around, these wear over time and eventually don't move the contacts far enough. You can carefully (!) adjust the gaps by bending the contact leaves a bit. To clean them, do NOT use sandpaper, that's way too abrasive. Use a business card or some thin cardboard instead.

You need to take the steering wheel off to get access to the switch. To do that, you will need a gear puller or something similar. Remove the center cap and the big center nut. Thread bolts into the holes in the steering wheel hub, then tighten the puller against the steering column.

That info is good for a 64, YMMV...

Hope that helps

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx !!

Patman ........ thanx for the input. Yes I have a puller. And will follow your suggestions!! :beer: :beer:

Bogie

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
i also had that happen last time out .took 6hrs ,cleaned every thing from front to back ,still working .i also had the steering wheel off.now i have less hair lol :shawn

·
Registered
787 Posts
That's great news, cause I know it was a hard one to find.

When you pull the wheel, a suggestion as I have a dent in my forehead from the first time I pulled mine.
Put on the wheel puller, and back off the nut leaving it on with about 3/4 of its threads at the end. Then use the wheel puller, and rock the steering wheel till it pops up to the nut. Then, you can carefully remove the nut to release the spring pressure. If you have removed a wheel before, slap me the next time you see me, as you know what I am talking about.
If you haven't, this will save a bump on your knoggen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts