Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey quick question before i order up some line..

vehicle is a 69 nova
manual brakes (keeping it that way)
WAS a 4WD and now i just got the ls brake swap almost complete except for a few things and while i was doing the swap thought id change the line.

i believe the stock brake line is 3/16

2 questions are:

1) can i run Aluminum brake line? (only for the corrosion resistance and color)

2) is running a 1/4" brake line ok for running the front lines individualy?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Keep in mind that the brakeline size will need to be compatible with the master cylinder, calipers, and wheel cylinders threaded ports.

·
Super Moderator
9,800 Posts
From a physics/hydraulics standpoint, the diameter of the tubing makes no difference. From a practical standpoint, ^^^ what he said about the size of the threads.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
If you want a nice look and corrision resistance go with stainless steel. Just be aware that if you're making your own lines that it is much more difficult to work with especially when making double flares.
If your car is a "fair weather" ride I wouldn't be too worried about corrosion and just use off the shelf steel line.
Personally I'd use 3/16" from front to rear , it's easy to bend/form and you can buy adapters to fit m/c's

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow sorry guys didn't see the reply's.

Keep in mind that the brakeline size will need to be compatible with the master cylinder, calipers, and wheel cylinders threaded ports.
Ahh yes, I forgot about that. They make reducers right?

No aluminum or copper lines are used for brakes.
I just wanted aluminum line because it came in color.. Like red/blue

If you want a nice look and corritance go with stainless steel. Just be aware that if you're making your own lines that it is much more difficult to work with especially when making double flares.
If your car is a "fair weather" ride I wouldn't be too worried about corrosion and just use off the shelf steel line.
Personally I'd use 3/16" from front to rear , it's easy to bend/form and you can buy adapters to fit m/c's
Yes stainless would be nice, I guess but I'm going for something available right now plus if I can can get in coloring would like it.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Just ordered brake line fittings from classictube.com and also reading up on fabricating ss lines. According to their tech articles, making double flares in ss is no problem if you do the job correctly. Check out the site for details. I never heard of colored brake tubing but hey, whatever floats your boat. I guess you could always paint the lines before final install.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
You need to have a good Quality Tube Flairing tool.

One of my friends has ALL of the correct tools. He bent up his own Stainless brake lines. He is a pro at doing this. BUT he still had a couple of leaks.

Bryan

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You need to have a good Quality Tube Flairing tool.

One of my friends has ALL of the correct tools. He bent up his own Stainless brake lines. He is a pro at doing this. BUT he still had a couple of leaks.

Bryan
The leaking part is why I don't want to use it..

I used regular steel lines on the summer driven Nova and sprayed them with clear to maintain the "new" look.
Might do this. Or just get regular natural aluminum..

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Last year there was a guy at Good Guys that had a rat rod and he had done his lines in copper looked real nice. One of the state troopers seen the car and asked the guy if he drove the car in. He said he had drove the car there. He had to get a rollback come and get him. Trooper said NO Copper Brake Lines not DOT approved. Man he was pissed.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Last year there was a guy at Good Guys that had a rat rod and he had done his lines in copper looked real nice. One of the state troopers seen the car and asked the guy if he drove the car in. He said he had drove the car there. He had to get a rollback come and get him. Trooper said NO Copper Brake Lines not DOT approved. Man he was pissed.
What a dumbass... unless they were steel lines and copper coated.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
see i didnt even know that. wow well i guess stainless.. but ill just wait on the lines later.. if im going bling ill just wait till i get the whole brake system. i plan on going hydro boost. so ill just save that for later.

thanks guys i really appreciate the info. almost bought the aluminum.:eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts