Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I realized my brake lights were not coming on for my 68. I found a loose turn signal bulb ( pass side) and now brake lights work, but they stop working when the headlights are turned on. So the driving lights work (same bulb as brakes) but when I step on the brake they go out. They bulbs are obviously working. The brake switch knows when I hit the brake, but something is not working properly.

Also, and possibly unrelated, sometimes my drivers side turn signal blinks much slower that the pass side.

Any ideas?

Thanks!:beer:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok well I just made things worse. After taking the brake lights out of the sockets and looking at all the connections now none of the rear lights work. The previous owner looked to have fiddled around a bit back there with the wiring.

I might have to bring it to someone with more brains than me. :mad:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I think that could be part of it. The lights still worked even when I removed them from the housings. Which I thought was weird because the metal tabs on the bulbs were now not touching anything. But once I put everything back together nothing worked.

I don't know. Electrical issues are like my kriptonite.

I'm already frustrated and I just started.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
sounds like you've got one or more floating grounds. check and clean all the grounds.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking more into it I found many interesting connections all throughout the rear wiring. Most splices just held together with elec tape (if any). I think the path of least headache will be to order a new rear lamp harness and start fresh. I found one for $150 at Ground Up that looks perfect.

Anyone else replaced the whole rear wiring harness?

It looks like it shouldn't be too hard. (famous last words).

:beer:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Personally, what I would do is just revamp that harness you have. Save yourself the $150 and pull it out, replace the old wires with new ones, back into your old plugs, using same lengths and splice points, (using old one as a template) and throw it back in.

You can usually re pin the plugs and new bulb sockets, or you can just cut all the wires out and barrrel connect the new little harness back in.

I need to do my rear body light harness soon. I need to redo my whole haness bumper to bumper actually.

Do you have a meter to test your electrical system?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts