Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of electrical questions on a 71 Nova. First, the brake lights stay on most of the time. I put on a new switch but didn't help. The switch is adjusted as far as possible towards the pedal. The brake pedal spring brinthe pedal back just about all of the way. there may be about a 1/4" play in the pedal. The switch is bottomed out in the holder as far as possible. Any suggestions? Second, where is the horn relay suppose to be mounted on a 71. I have a drawing showing it near the radiator. Mine is on the firewall near the brake cylinder. Having problems with the horn all of the time. I replaced the relay but it is different than what was on the car and the new one has a bent tit that seems that it needs to be inserted in a hole somewhere.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Deluga10 said:
I have a couple of electrical questions on a 71 Nova. First, the brake lights stay on most of the time. I put on a new switch but didn't help. The switch is adjusted as far as possible towards the pedal. The brake pedal spring brinthe pedal back just about all of the way. there may be about a 1/4" play in the pedal. The switch is bottomed out in the holder as far as possible. Any suggestions? Second, where is the horn relay suppose to be mounted on a 71. I have a drawing showing it near the radiator. Mine is on the firewall near the brake cylinder. Having problems with the horn all of the time. I replaced the relay but it is different than what was on the car and the new one has a bent tit that seems that it needs to be inserted in a hole somewhere.
the switch whould be placed in such a manner that when you dont have your foot on the brake the switch putton is fully extended(out) and possibly it is not even touching the peddle at all..then when you push on the peddle it will push on the switch and activate the brakes...to me...I could be wrong but by your description it sounds like the peddle is pushing on the switch all the time...:confused:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
brake lights

Let me try to explain it a little better. When the brake predal returns to the stop at the top of the travel, the brake lights stay on. You have to manually pull the brake pedal up approximately 1/8" to 1/4" to turn off the lights. That is how little play there is when the pedal returns. The brake switch is screwed down as far as possible in it's holder, as close to the padel as possible, yet the brake lights stay on unless you pull the pedal up more. Is it possible that the switch is too sensitive, meaning that it comes on too soon?

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,057 Posts
Hi Deluga10,

It sounds like you are missing the little L-shaped metal striker tab that bolts to the brake pedal swing arm. That striker tab (rather than the brake pedal swing arm itself) is what is supposed to push the plunger in on the brake light switch.

If you can't find one, they're easy enough to make from a piece of heavy gauge sheetmetal. I made one for my 74 when I converted from manual to power brakes (the striker is different for manual vs. power).

The stock location for the horn relay on all 1972 & older Novas is on the radiator support near the voltage regulator. It was moved to the firewall for 1973. And then moved to under the dash for 1974 & up.

If that little bent tit you mentioned is on the relay's mounting bracket, then yes it is supposed to fit into a hole. I think it's just there to make sure the relay is mounted in the original position/orientation since there's only one mounting screw.

Does the wiring to the horn relay appear as though it's been cut, spliced, or otherwise modified? If it doesn't, I suppose there's always the possibility that someone swapped some 73 wiring into your 71. That could explain the relay being on the firewall rather than on the radiator support.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
brake lights

Ray, thanks for the info. I'll have to try to fabricate the piece for the brake pedal. As far as the horn relay, the wiring seems to be set up for the horn relay to be on the firewall. I'll have to try to figure that out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts