Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good eveing! i have a 73 w/ original brake fluid in it. no problems at this time. trying to decide if i have been pushing my luck or if it's time to change the fluid. any opinions? and if it's time to change to which type of fluid should i put back in.

·
Registered
99 Posts
A '73 and the brake fluid has never been added to? If the fluid in the master cylinder is clear I would leave it alone, if the fluid looks like coffee, I think you should change it. Just so you don't press your luck to hard I would also check your brake lines, wheel cylinders, calipers if you have them, for any seepage or badly rusted lines.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
I think you a pushing you luck.(Or life) If it were mine I would replace everything. Brake fluid attracts moisture, so over the years I would think rust. I like to use silicon brake fluid, because it is more likely not to attract moisture.

·
Registered
569 Posts
They are right...FLUSH that old brake fluid out.

The moisture content of brake fluid with effect overall braking. Water lowers the boiling point so when you really need them, They won't work.

Easy to do if the bleeders come loose.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that if the fluid is that old in it, you will end up breaking one (or more) of the bleeder nipples while attempting to loosen for bleeding.

I'd give each bleeder a little shot of your choice of lubricant first (WD-40, Release-All, etc.) and let it soak for a day or two before attempting to loosen the nipples. Then if you manage to get all four loosened, grab a good amount of fresh fluid (a quart at least) as you'll be surprised at how much you'll go through before each corner is clear.

This would be after a full inspection and replacement of any components required as recommended by elkenova.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts