Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.. I was testing my car it hasn't moved in over a year and one of my rear pads wore through. It happened after a Looong hill. The pads likely had been damaged in the past from leaving the parking brake on. I had the damaged drum turned because of an obvious gouge.. The other looked ok. Tech said 0.015" out of spec. Should be ok but mentioned that the other drum should be turned down to the same thickness. Is this really necessary for rear drums? The one on the passenger side seemed to brake harder anyway I figured having that one thinner might even the other out lol. Should I worry? The driver's side drum doesn't appear to be damaged.. Probably the parking brake doesn't pull as hard on that one. I wasn't even going to bother to change the shoes...

-Tom

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
providing the shoes are adjusted correctly they'll fit whatever the drum has been turned to.

no need to match the diameter of the good one to the bad... that's just wasting wear surface.

he's fulla hooie! :yes:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
providing the shoes are adjusted correctly they'll fit whatever the drum has been turned to.

no need to match the diameter of the good one to the bad... that's just wasting wear surface.

he's fulla hooie! :yes:
Thats what I thought! It didn't make any sense to me since the adjuster brings it closer or farther from the surface anyway. I'll leave the other side alone.

-Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts