Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for the experts! While searching for a vacuum leak I pulled off the plastic valve that goes into the power brake booster.The other end of the vacuum hose is attached to a tee that goes to the back of the carb and then to the pcv valve.When I pulled it off the idle went up and smoothed out.If I put my finger over the end of the plastic valve the idle gets rough and slows down.Here's my question.....Should the brake booster have a separate vacuum line instead of also going to the pcv valve?Is that screwing up the vacuum signal for the pcv valve?Thanks…..and you guys have answered a lot for me!

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Yes, the booster should not have anything else coming off that hose. The PCV normally comes off the front of the carb and the booster from the back of the carb, or manifold.
This is a pic of my motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Also , make sure the hose you use is for vacuum, don't just use fuel hose. Its not made for vacuum its made for pressure. I have seen the inside of fuel hose collapse from vacuum.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,664 Posts
I've always kept the two line completely separate.
I run the PVC line to the back port on my Holley carb and connect the brake booster line to a fitting that I installed into one of the available intake manifold bosses.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Makes sense......thanks! I have a Super Victor intake with no vacuum ports...….Has 4 corner plugged bosses.....but none for vacuum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts