Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A topic that always seems to reappear on message boards is issues w/ brake bleeding. A lot of frustration for sure.
I'm currently working on an old truck where the MC is below the floor boards, in other words, I do not have gravity working in my favor while bleeding.
I did what I always do is to use a Phoenix Injector to fill the system and one-man bleed out all of the air.
Look at the tool below in the first pix. I use it to inject fluid into the MC piston area by injecting the fluid directly into the hole in the bottom of each chamber, this eliminates bench bleeding and it pushes the fluid right thru an open bleeder at any wheel. I have a collection bottle (third image) on the open bleeder and just keep injecting fluid till no bubbles appear in the collection hose. If you are starting w/ a new system recycle the fluid back into the injector's intake bottle.
Grease the threads on each bleeder valve so that the open bleeder has a good seal.
I've used this thing dozens of times over the years and have never had trapped air.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
So is this - - - like going backwards - - - cause ; this IS The Way I would bleed the brakes on my airplane .
like from the wheel (brakes) back up to the master cylinder . . . . . . . . and was very easy , worked
every time . My master cyl was mounted up on the motor mount , under the cowling .
(a Piper " Tri - Pacer " ; and one master cyl worked both main wheel brakes ) .

. . easy one man job . .

. . jim

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim, the Phoenix will work either way. You can push fluid up from the caliper/wheel cylinder or you can push it thru the MC as I mentioned. I've had quicker/better luck w/ the latter and no bench bleeding req on new installs. On your plane w/ the MC way higher than the calipers, gravity will work for you.....big time.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
John , Thanks . . . . . I've still have th' old Piper . . . . . but , can't pass my medical anymore . . . .

It's sitting in my drive ; just another "project" . (needs a recover = Stits Fabric ) .
1953 model

·
Registered
660 Posts
I also use one man air bleeder, I have a rope around canister, hangs around my neck, it has a on/off valve, fast and simple

·
Registered
433 Posts
Alf, thanks for sharing this. I'm going to give it a try. My brakes have been giving me fits. Brand new system.
Booster/1 1/8" master/combo valve from right stuff, new hard and soft lines and rebuild oem calipers.
I have pump bled till my leg felt like it was going to fall off and vacuum bled till i got a headache from listening to the compressor and still cant get all the air out of the front calipers. Pedal is extremely soft but is solid as soon as I pinch off the 2 front rubber lines.
Hoping this works

1 - 8 of 8 Posts