Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay....so I have been down in my garage for countless hours staring at all my new parts waiting to be installed......the thing that has me confused the most is how do you brace the body after you have cut out the old frame and sheet metal?

I know there has to be a rather easy way...but I cant see it! I know you have to set the ride height and make sure the body is square before ever I start welding that clip in! I just dont know what the best way (or ways in general) to have the body supported and stay square and not flex while I am fitting in that clip.

Any help would be appreciated!

-John

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
I would get the book - Super Chevy's Nova Handbook-High Performance,Street Modifications and Upgrades 1962-1967 Chevy Novas.
It has a yellow 1st Gen on the cover. Among other things in the book, they do a VERY detailed back half on a 1st gen in there. Must be 20+ pages on just the back half,cage, and tin work.
Brandon

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
I used some 3/4" square tubing and welded it inside the car as bracing to help support everything. In the rear, welded a pair of legs down to the floor for support. It's the way I've seen it done at most fab shops as well. These bodies can tweak and bend if this is not done and cause the door gaps etc. to change.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I welded an X brace between the rear door panel area just behind the door opening. Then made some nice adjustable stands that bolt to the stock bumper location and tacked and X brace between them. It helps to lay a stringed line from front to rear on the floor and double check it often before welding anything or everytime you bump the body or some one leans against it.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
novas4life said:
I would get the book - Super Chevy's Nova Handbook-
hey john--i got that book....if you want to borrow it...give me call. you got my number...i'll be around all this week.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1965proSTREET said:
hey john--i got that book....if you want to borrow it...give me call. you got my number...i'll be around all this week.

Ill give you a hollar this evening!

Thanks again!
-John

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Hey John... i haven't checked it recently but i know the ChassisWorks site has a lot of info... maybe some of it might be of help to you... ya know Mike Weddle's a real cool guy, i bet he'd be happy ta try and help if ya have any questions... he's a ChassisWorks TechGuy... hence his user name... "TechGuy" ;)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the Flyer said:
Hey John... i haven't checked it recently but i know the ChassisWorks site has a lot of info... maybe some of it might be of help to you... ya know Mike Weddle's a real cool guy, i bet he'd be happy ta try and help if ya have any questions... he's a ChassisWorks TechGuy... hence his user name... "TechGuy" ;)

Flyer...thanks for the help....in fact I printed off an article that ChassisWorks has on their website. The only thing with that article is that it does not show how they braced the body. But I will definately ask TechGuy some questions!

As usual...this board never lets me down...and..I am very thankful I have a Chevy Nova...where else could I have met such a great group of guys from around the country that have the same love affair as I do!

Thanks again all!
-John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts