Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is a question for my paint guy buts it's been bothering me so here goes. I have a 4" harwood fiberglass hood and it has the typical bowing on the drivers side. Can this be fixed? You see a lot of nice painted cars and this takes away from the overall look.
Heat up the bowed area and brace it?
Thoughts appreciated.
Thanks

·
6,384 Posts
Here's what turned up on a search that I replied to last year:

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190767

I really doubt heat will take out the bow. HOPEFULLY, the hood is not painted or if it is you wouldn't mind repainting the underside after working on the hood to take out the bow.

How I've fixed bows in hood and back edges of fiberglass fenders is to make some thin cuts in the backside being careful not to go too deep and affect the topside and then after a few cuts are made the curve or bow is more flexible and can be pushed or bent enough to take out the bow. To get the strength back into the part after the slits are cut into it and be able to hold the part so the bow is not in it will require something like a piece of steel, some wood, or something else to where you can with this temporary brace in place be able to glass over the slits and then once the glass patch has cured, be able to take the brace off and have the part without it's bow in it.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's what turned up on a search that I replied to last year:

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190767

I really doubt heat will take out the bow. HOPEFULLY, the hood is not painted or if it is you wouldn't mind repainting the underside after working on the hood to take out the bow.

How I've fixed bows in hood and back edges of fiberglass fenders is to make some thin cuts in the backside being careful not to go too deep and affect the topside and then after a few cuts are made the curve or bow is more flexible and can be pushed or bent enough to take out the bow. To get the strength back into the part after the slits are cut into it and be able to hold the part so the bow is not in it will require something like a piece of steel, some wood, or something else to where you can with this temporary brace in place be able to glass over the slits and then once the glass patch has cured, be able to take the brace off and have the part without it's bow in it.

Jim
Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts