Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Finally got the correct internal and external gear in my TH350 so the speedometer will read accurately. Now I have an issue with the speedometer needle bouncing up and down. I have a feeling that my speedometer is just old and worn out, but is there any way to fix this or should I just buy one from Classic Industries?

Jason

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
sometimes that is cuased by a gummed up cable. the cable will bind and release over and over causing the needle to bounce. try removing the cable from the housing, cleaning it, regreasing it and then reinstall it. it worked for a crapy 67 mustang I had.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
like the others said check your cable, could be bent or the internal cable could be stripped. ive had that happen before, also once i had speedo freeze up and it acted like that for a while until the cable was so stripped it didnt move it anymore, i pulled the cable off and tried to turn the speedo manually and it was totally siezed up,
ended up swapping it out w another one i had

i bet its the cable though.......

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
novaBRO said:
sometimes that is caused by a gummed up cable. the cable will bind and release over and over causing the needle to bounce. try removing the cable from the housing, cleaning it, re-greasing it and then reinstall it. it worked for a crappy 67 mustang I had.
Good advise. I like to use white lithium grease on speedo cables. Axle grease will cause binding in cold weather.

If this does not solve you problem (and the cable looks to be in good shape), there may be fraying in the cable housing. In that case, a new cable is the only option.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
On mine I used a cordless drill and turned the inner cable while moving it in and out of the outside. The whole time I sprayed WD-40 through it and nasty slime came out the far end. I did that for several minutes and mixed in some regular oil in with the WD-40. The WD-40 mixed with the 30W and it stopped bouncing afterwards. The WD-40 carried the nasty stuuf out of the shielding.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greetings,

Thanks for the responses...It's going to be done tomorrow night..I've got graphite and if that doesn't work, I'll do the drill and WD-40 tip as well.

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ive always heard that dry silicon lube is better than WD-40 because it being dry the lube wont attract more contaminants. Is this bad information in your opinion?

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Sometimes it's not in the cable but in the speedometer head. There's grease in there that gets old and caked up.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Hahahaha complete cure!

I fixed it completely. I use the speed reading from my GPS sitting over the dash. Dead on accurate and I can even find out where to go at the same time. Now I have a super digital dash for my 'Silver'.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts