Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend gave me a lead on a '66 Nova setting in a guy's barn. Looked at it today and now I have another Nova. It is an SS with a 4 speed that the guy took apart to restore. Except for the engine it is all there. No 12 bolt but supposed to have been a 327. The worst thing is that the rocker panels are rusted bad. I know they are a structural part of the car and would guess that they would need to be replaced by a competent person that knows Novas. I won't be able to study it until I get it home next weekend. Anyone know what people are charging to replace them? I can part the car out for more than I payed but I missed my last Nova the day I sold it.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
While a lot of work, it is possible to have done. How is the rest of the car condition? I think barn, I fear mice and all the devious things they get into. Hopefully it will be a better start to a project for you

·
Super Moderator
4,089 Posts
Pictures always help. Congrats on the purchase! Just about the most desirable of the first or second generation Novas.

I think once you get into it and remove the rusted outer areas you'll find what you have to do. I think it's less the actual rockers than the inner structure rust you have to worry about. Especially with V-8, don't skimp on the rust repair--it's going to need the strength.

Check the fuel line front to back...might have been a 4bbl car.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am supposed to bring it home Saturday. Actually the barn was a metal shed with a concrete floor. It is possible it is just the outer rocker I was kind of excited and didn't look as much as I should have. Sold my TA WS6 and just want another Nova.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK got it home yesterday. It is in much better condition than I thought. It actually came with a small journal 327 engine. That s what I plan to put in it. Muncie M21 with Hurst shifter. The front fenders were represented as NOS but haven't check much yet. I thought the rockers and quarters were bad but again better than I thought, just the outer rockers need replaced or repaired. Quarters not sure. Best thing is the car was from southern Kansas and apparently that is good because the floor pans and truck pan are great.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,089 Posts
Worth taking a crack at that one, for sure. Looks like there's a lot to go on there, and tons of potential. Keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all of you. So far I have just been looking at it in the garage. Definitely need a trunk lid.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looked at the old car a bit more. It was undercoated which is why the floors are good. There is one spot under the driver but the rest of the floors are good. The rear of the frame on both side that the spring shackles bolt to are bad rusty. The worst is the front subframe is needy. It has been carved on a couple places and there is rust up where the hood hinges bolt on. I do not want an aftermarket clip but this one won't work as it is. I need a clip that someone has removed when they put an aftermarket clip on.

Does someone make a patch for the rear unibody frame? How about pieces of the front subframe assembly?

·
Premium Member
3,761 Posts
That's a really good find! I'd say that a competent bodyman could do the rocker panel repair without much trouble at all. I definitely would not part out that car! I parted out a repairable '66 SS a number of years ago and have kicked myself numerous times since!:turn:

Does someone make a patch for the rear unibody frame? How about pieces of the front subframe assembly?
On one '66 restoration that I was involved in, we contacted a company in Arizona called Desert Valley Auto Parts https://www.dvap.com/ (The company on Discovery Channel's "Desert Car Kings".)
We needed most of the lower rear section of the car. They cut the area from a Nova that was hit in the front and shipped it to us via truck freight. As I remember, it wasn't particularly cheap but we got everything we needed and didn't have to do a lot of cutting! I'm sure that there are other companies out west that have rust-free wrecks, but Desert Valley was very easy to deal with. I also seem to recall that they told us that the parts came from a sedan and that the trunk floors and rear frame rails of the two body styles were the same

You could probably find a nice front subframe set-up closer to home by simply placing an ad in this site's Classified section.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
looks like a good to something

what are your plans for the car ( restoring it to original or what ) ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts