Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I made the plunge. I have been looking for a while and bought a rough one. This car seems to be hacked together to sell. Motor is just sitting in there, the exhaust is hacked together, actually had some JB weld type stuff on an open joint. Seats are just screwed to the floor. No radiator, no torque converter. 4 wheel drums, front drums were locked, but the car is solid, limited rust, no holes that I can see. Anyways on to the question.

I am not sure where I am going to start, but the first question I have is about sub frame connectors. They are loosely bolted to the back, the front of the leaf is connected to them. I am assuming I can't just take them off because of the spring mount. What is the best way to fix these.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The only part of your description that caught my attention was "...limited rust, no holes..."! :) That's a good buy.

Unless you really want subframe connectors for racing, I don't see the need for them - it's just one more thing to maneuver around. I'd prob take them off, and only add them back if/when you need them or the project is completed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nova.

Yeah, you don't need the subframe connectors, unless you jump in it with both feet, and the torque breaks a window. ( did that once some years ago)

Dive in Deep and check for rust, also look for hidden rust under the paint, I've seen that as well. Some folks think bondo solves everything.

I actually overpaid for my Nova, as the before was a nearly rust free carport find. It was in primer and will stay that way till the spring.

Drum brakes will be a problem later, but there are upgrades out that, I just did the LS upgrade and the difference is night and day. the old drums scared me more than once.

For now, put it back together, make it run, see what you have. then get started on what you want to fix. unless the engine is ready to come out, then might as well pull it for inspection/rebuild. (there's probably a reason it was just lying in there.)

at least mine ran beautifully. Now I just go to get the bog out of that junky Quad---- oh I forgot I have an edelbrock in the box.....LOL

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The plan is to start from the back and work forward. Brakes, axle check, get the old exhaust off. sub frame connectors off, (What about the front leaf spring mount) then move my way up to the motor. Painless harness in there somewhere. and I need new bucket seats as well.

I have a 63 vette with 4 wheel drums and so far so good.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
If you already have the frame connectors I would leave them personally. I have them and put the bolt ons on all mine or at least the last 3. Not in the way of anything and they do stiffen up the car.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Yea, I can't figure out why anyone wouldn't have subframe connectors. Makes a world of difference in the way the car rides.:rolleyes:
I just mean take them off while you are working on the underside, it makes things easier to clean and paint. I don't know about the ride quality, but we're about to find out how these things ride....

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts