Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just bought a 1973 nova for 400 dollars. They said that it ran but couldn't start it because of a bad battery. So after 17hrs of driveing got it home a tryed to start it and it did'nt fire. Next morning i went out and bought a new battery, battery cables,and a new starter and it fired right up. Has a straight 6 and a two speed auto. I am haveing a problem with it the carb chokeing itself out when loading the engine. Whould rebuilding it be the best thing to do or can i just adj. it? On the other hand the car is solid. Found a little rust on the p/s floor board and some under the hood. The rear quarters need to be replaced because the last owner put a larg offset on and it chewed through the quarter lip. This is on both sides. I can just put half panels on to get rid of that. I will post pic's when i can.:D

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Depending on how long she's been sitting...you may want to drop the gas tank and flush & re-fill it. That and replace the fuel filter and THEN you may still need to rebuild the carb next. If you rebuild the carb now and it's the gas, you may just crap up your rebuilt carb. ;)

Congrats on your find BTW. :)

Any pics?

The choke isn't hung closed is it?

You could try some spray carb cleaner down the throat and in the bowl (through that over-flow tube inside / top of the carb air inlet). Might help.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
One tidbit of advice regarding the one barrell rochester carbs that I learned with my first Nova: there are 4 (I think) screws that hold the top and bottom of the carb together. These screws go in from the bottom, ie; the head is down - very difficult (read:impossible) to get a screwdriver on. These screws will loosen up, causing a vacuum leak as the engine sucks air. The trick, is to purchase an inexpensive tool: a 90degree, ratcheting screwdriver, from Sears. This tool is about 4-5 inches long, and has a slotted driver on one side and a philips driver on the other, and a tiny direction toggle.

First make sure you have a vacuum leak, which is easy to do by simply placing our hand over the top of the carb while the engine is idling. If the idle speed increases, then you have a vacuum leak. To find the vacuum leak, simply spray some carb cleaner around the seals and vacuum ports until you notice the idle speed pick up - "there's your sign!"

Simply tighten these 4 screws and an off-idle stumble from a vacuum leak will go away.
M

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I have a 64 with a 350 and a 600 holley carb . I go to collage out of state.
the nova just sits in the garage and my dad never bothers to even start it
When Im home over break I only drive it around the block a few times since my parents will not put it back on their insurance polacy. I put a new HEI distributor in it and timed it but it still runs rough. At first I thought the carb needs to be rebuilt but now I am starting to think the fuel system should be flushed also.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for advise, tonight i replaced the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. It didn't help any so i was thinking of rebuilding the carb and replaceing all the gaskets. i willl also remove gas tank and drain the gas, and replace the filter. yea about the pic's my camer craped itself and my friend just has to send the pic's i took on her camera to my e-mail. As soon as she does that i will post them. How would i post them if my account says i cant put attchments to my account? But again thanks for the advise. Will post pic's as soon as i can.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Baby said:
Thanks for advise, tonight i replaced the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. It didn't help any so i was thinking of rebuilding the carb and replaceing all the gaskets. i willl also remove gas tank and drain the gas, and replace the filter. yea about the pic's my camer craped itself and my friend just has to send the pic's i took on her camera to my e-mail. As soon as she does that i will post them. How would i post them if my account says i cant put attchments to my account? But again thanks for the advise. Will post pic's as soon as i can.
Get an account somewhere like www.photobucket.com
Upload your pics there then copy and paste the link to your post here.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya' got her running any better yet?

She's running but not that strong. Plus it's only a I6 so if it run's i'll drive it for now until i get my 383 done and my t350 trani. But i'll drive it till then with the six in it. Again you guys thanx for all the help. I 'm not sure if i said this but this is my first restoration. So everything is taken in and looked at

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Baby said:
Ya' got her running any better yet?

She's running but not that strong. Plus it's only a I6 so if it run's i'll drive it for now until i get my 383 done and my t350 trani. But i'll drive it till then with the six in it. Again you guys thanx for all the help. I 'm not sure if i said this but this is my first restoration. So everything is taken in and looked at
Ha! You'll never be the same :D
Make sure you have plenty of these :beer:
M

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Your right yenko i started on a 1973 for my first car and sold it because of highschool sports and other things. And i don't want to be that guy that says i wish i would have never sold that.

How do you guys feel about a big block in these cars? Just woundering because that what i might do. I am look for a 396-402 375hp to rebuild. And put a turbo 400 behind it any comments? I also would like to know what you guys would say if i can get a t400 for $200. And trust me,myself and my jarhead buddies will have lots of :beer: during this project.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does any body know of a 375hp 396-402 is for sale and where. If you find on around NC and or around in Michigan please let me know. Pref. a motor to rebuild. thanx

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea i'll try that, are you going to be there Maxturbo if so let me know were your going to be. I would like to meet you and see your car. Agin thanx for the help

·
Registered
151 Posts
hey! congrats on the find. i have (had) a 73 ss. they are kinda heavy. any how, i used mine for the 70 as far as parts go. now it rests by the 70 on its side, collecting the beers i have consumed during the rebuild of the 70. must be 70 cans there. plan on recycling for its first tank of fuel( 110 cam2 @ 4.50 a gallon). might need to pick up the pace the way fuel is going.:beer: good luck and stay posted as there is alot of people parting out these cars (73-74). 72 and older allowed at good guys. that is why i went and got a 70. just for the drags. love to smoke those 30,000 dollar trailer queens. keep us all posted and welcome.
eric

·
Registered
475 Posts
Maxturbo said:
If you head on over to the Charlotte Auto Fair in a couple of weeks, I'm sure you'll find what you need. ;)

http://www.charlotte-autofair.com/
Yep, you will probably find what you need there...................may cost you double what it would somewhere else though. Some of those people selling used parts are asking some big prices for stuff. Saw a Saginaw 4-speed the guy wanted $275 for it and it needed rebuilt:eek: Usually find those pretty cheap because not many people have any use for them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts