Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on starting body work in the next month or so and I’ve been debating on building a rotisserie to make working on the bottom side easier, my question is if I should bother with the work on building once. I have a 2 post lift so getting under the car is no problem, I’m just wondering if it will be worth having the car on its side or not. The only real work I think I'll be doing under there is smoothing the transision from my patch floor panels to the stock sheet metal, priming, and painting.

Any of you have a lift and a rotisserie?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I use a lift. The only real disadvantage is your neck can get a little sore if you are doing a LOT of work at one time. If I were doing a lot of restorations, or if you are looking for ultimate ease of access, then a rotisserie would be a no brainer. But I needed the lift for a lot of other reasons, so it made more sense for me.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have both. Use the twirrly thing.
:D I like that, I might only refer to it as the twirrly thing now. I was thinking it would be a waste to build one because I wouldnt use it for too long but I guess if I decide I don't need it when I'm finished with it I could always sell it.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
I use a lift for everything I do on mine. Had mine been on a rotisserie, I could have avoided having the 50 years of undercoating and dirt come off then down onto my head and in my eyes & lungs when I cleaned everything up and did the mini-tub.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I use a lift for everything I do on mine. Had mine been on a rotisserie, I could have avoided having the 50 years of undercoating and dirt come off then down onto my head and in my eyes & lungs when I cleaned everything up and did the mini-tub.
Thats the only problem with a lift or even just jackstands. Although its not that big of deal put on some glasses and maybe a little mask and your good to go. But a twirly thing would be good too, just takes time to build it rather than time to spend on your car.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Even with glasses an a mask I still managed to get metal in my eye somehow. Was at the hospital a few days ago toget them out.

And for a person who hates stuff in their eyes, it's not a pleasant experience

I really want to build a rotisserie myself

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
Rotisserie pictures are in my wagon build thread, click the link below. Cost about 450.00 in material plus my time and gas to round up parts. It was a PITA to figure it all out, and spent way more time on it than I wanted.

Greg Smith equipment has a nice one on sale for under 1K......that's what I'll be getting next time.

T,

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Rotisserie pictures are in my wagon build thread, click the link below. Cost about 450.00 in material plus my time and gas to round up parts. It was a PITA to figure it all out, and spent way more time on it than I wanted.

Greg Smith equipment has a nice one on sale for under 1K......that's what I'll be getting next time.

T,
Got one of there showrooms less than 5 miles from the house I just go in there and dream :)
If you got one close keep checking their web page for a scratched one they take at least a hundred of it :)

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,636 Posts
I just put my rotisserie together yesterday. I need to figure out some way to mount it and get someone to fab up the mounts and I can actually put the car on it.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
ROTISSERIE! :thumbsup:
WITHOUT A DOUBT, I WISH I HAD ONE WHEN I WAS DOIN' MY '66 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
982 Posts
its nice to have both, the rotisserie for doing a resto, and a lift is nice to get under and do some replacements of parts without having to get down on ground level with limited space.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts