Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody explain to me what bondo is and how it works? The reason I ask is because my roof has several pen sized holes in and I and dont have a donor roof or the money to weld on a big piece of sheet metal. Can is it like a metal puddy? Would I be able to use it to temp. fill some holes on my roof for a month or so?

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Bondo is a cheap plastic filler. Personally, I would fill it in with Bondo, but only if I were going to do some metal work later... I don't suggest painting it until those holes are filled in with sheet metal. Another thing you could do(if you know how) is use fiberglass...

·
6,502 Posts
Bondo is a brand name. They make different bodywork materials (putty type fillers, fiberglass fillers, fiberglass resin, fiberglass matting and cloth).

You first need to figure out what way the rust is coming through. Most rot I've seen on cars starts from the backside and works it's way to the outside of the panel. When a hole appears this is one the tip of the problem. The area next to the hole can be paper thin and the thinned metal can extend back a few inches or more depending on the damage.

Ideally, cut the rot all the way out, weld in new metal, and then protect the backside AND frontside of the metal.

If I were to do a temporary repair I would look at the Bondo brand of filler that has fiberglass strands in the filler. I got a can out of the garage and on the label it's called "Bondo-Hair". The features of this mix is it is waterproof and since it is a different mix than the regular filler from the same company it will be stronger and offer more reinforcement to the repaired area than their regular filler.

Like any filler you need to rough up the metal and after you get it roughed up you may want to dimple in the metal slightly.

I've used the Bondo-Hair before on spots on my car and at work on sub enclosures and it takes a little more work to get the cream hardener to mix into it but you definately need to mix it well. Once you get most of the area you want to repair filled and leveled with the Bondo-Hair you can come back with the regular filler as a top coat.

Jim

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
my budduys rustbucket camaro had lead filling on the roof. If these pin sized holes are small you could just weld up the holes and file it down instead of replacing the sheet metal. Or bondo would work as a temporary solution

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah if I did it would definately have to be temporary. I can see most of this roof is ready to go, it just hasnt completely rusted through yet. Now I just gotta find a welder.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
You could use some fiberglas resin and mat to fix it temporarily. Sand the outside to bare metal, apply a coat of resin soaked mat on top and let it dry. Sand it a little and blow some primer on it. It won't leak and should be OK as a temp fix til you can get it repaired right. Just a thought. RM

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Real McCoy said:
You could use some fiberglas resin and mat to fix it temporarily. Sand the outside to bare metal, apply a coat of resin soaked mat on top and let it dry. Sand it a little and blow some primer on it. It won't leak and should be OK as a temp fix til you can get it repaired right. Just a thought. RM
Thanks for the info guys. I think at this point I'm just looking for an entire new body for sale. It would be 10 times easier and probably cheaper to just drop my engine in a new body. The LH front fender needs to be replaced, the rear quarters have severe rust and will need to be replaced, the roof is pretty much gone. I've found a few in my area but am waiting on my tax return so I'm just hoping they dont sell first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts